Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Geddy Lee...Fretless?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by jazzbasta, Oct 8, 2005.

1. jazzbasta

jazzbasta

Jul 16, 2005
    I own a Geddy Lee Jazz bass, and am wondering if anyone has attempted defretting one.

It's bound and seems to have too soft an epoxy to use as a fretless board, but I'm sure some inventive person could pull it off.

Anyone thought of this besides me :confused:

2. callmeMrThumbs

callmeMrThumbs Guest

Oct 6, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    I defretted my ol' Peavey Milestone III. It's probably a lot different than your Geddy Lee, but it all seemed to work out okay. I filled er up, sanded er down, pasted her up, and plugged er in! hehe...which means to say...that I had no idea what I was doing, and I didn't have a whole lot of time to take special precautions. But thankfully, I ended up with a really sweet sound...I love it.

I don't really know if any of this helped you out, but I wish you the best of luck!

-Josh

3. This is a forum for getting help from folks with experience in these things. Perhaps, since you didn't know what you were doing and you aren't sure you advice is a help, it would be best to lurk and learn. :eyebrow:

4. umm....... As the owner of a GL I think what I would do is de-fret an aftermarket neck ......... the Geddy necks are kinda special and pretty valuable on the used market.

Or just buy a fretless neck (duh! [smacks self in forehead! :rolleyes: ]) and pay for it with the funds from the sale of the GL neck...

......Jim

5. jazzbasta

jazzbasta

Jul 16, 2005
    Thanks for the advice, guys.