Geddy Lee...Fretless?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by jazzbasta, Oct 8, 2005.

1. jazzbasta

Jul 16, 2005
    I own a Geddy Lee Jazz bass, and am wondering if anyone has attempted defretting one.

It's bound and seems to have too soft an epoxy to use as a fretless board, but I'm sure some inventive person could pull it off.

Anyone thought of this besides me :confused:
  2. callmeMrThumbs

callmeMrThumbs Guest

Oct 6, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    I defretted my ol' Peavey Milestone III. It's probably a lot different than your Geddy Lee, but it all seemed to work out okay. I filled er up, sanded er down, pasted her up, and plugged er in! hehe...which means to say...that I had no idea what I was doing, and I didn't have a whole lot of time to take special precautions. But thankfully, I ended up with a really sweet sound...I love it.

I don't really know if any of this helped you out, but I wish you the best of luck!

3. This is a forum for getting help from folks with experience in these things. Perhaps, since you didn't know what you were doing and you aren't sure you advice is a help, it would be best to lurk and learn. :eyebrow:
  4. umm....... As the owner of a GL I think what I would do is de-fret an aftermarket neck ......... the Geddy necks are kinda special and pretty valuable on the used market.

Or just buy a fretless neck (duh! [smacks self in forehead! :rolleyes: ]) and pay for it with the funds from the sale of the GL neck...

5. jazzbasta

Jul 16, 2005
    Thanks for the advice, guys.