1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Geddy Lee: Isolated bass track to "YYZ" (1981)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by A.K., Jun 21, 2014.

1. A.K.

A.K.

Jan 9, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    It's Geddy. That's all you need to know.

2. Too cool. Thanks yet again. That's actually the one I've come closest to getting right. Go figure. I knew the solo bit had to be punched in. Always heard the over-lap.

A.K. likes this.
  3. 4StringAxe

4StringAxe

Jul 27, 2009
    Again, awesome :thumbsup:
    Any chance of getting Xanadu ?

A.K. likes this.
  4. A.K.

A.K.

Jan 9, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I looked for "Xanadu," but I can't find it on YouTube.

5. 4StringAxe

4StringAxe

Jul 27, 2009
    It's cool. Keep doing your thing. These isolated tracks you post are awesome.
    Here's a video I found.

A.K. likes this.
  6. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Once again, all killer - no filler from ol' Ged.
    Awesome iso tracks.

7. cronker

cronker

Feb 13, 2007
    Australia
    That is MENTAL! My favourite Rush song ever! And Geddy just swims through the whole thing, rhythm just oh yeah let's do it, some pyrotechnics for fun, some "go learn this poopie at home, kids," whole world of awesome.
    Thanks

8. Geraltino

Geraltino

Apr 2, 2013
    Finland
    That's some groovy playing, damn awesome! One of the basslines I seem to never get 100% right. Oh well, needs more practice... :D

9. Robus

Robus

Aug 25, 2013
    Chicago Area
    Wow.

10. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Rush bass book has a good chart on YYZ.

11. WolstenStears

WolstenStears

Mar 30, 2013
    I recently sat a graded bass exam in order to meet university application requirements, and one of the pieces was YYZ which had been slightly simplified and slowed, and had no synth section. However, I had learned the original version, so what I was playing was more than I actually needed to and I still couldn't keep up, even with a reduced tempo!

12. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

Jul 30, 2012
    This bassline was my introduction to raking.... back when I used to use just two fingers.

13. 77PBass

77PBass Banned

Dec 5, 2007
    nyc
    The YYZ one is awesome. You really get a sense they were all tracking at the same time by the ebb and flow of Geddy's time. The punch in's are dirty and add to the overall feel. I love the recording process.

14. sonicnuance

sonicnuance Commercial User

Aug 30, 2003
    California, USA
    Engineer & Owner, Sonic Nuance Electronics
    I love the internet! Sure coulda used this many years ago back in my first band :)

Just reinforces what a great player Geddy was/is. Also, and I don't mean to put anyone down here, it shows how bass tone can sound better in a mix than isolated (imho - and I don't know if anything was done to the bass tone for the iso track so I am making assumptions). The bass tone on the tune with the other instruments is classic and is a great example of how distorted bass can work in a tune.

Thanks for posting this