1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Geddy Lee J QC compared to the US.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by edgaroviz, Jun 28, 2012.

1. edgaroviz

edgaroviz

Aug 8, 2011
    Israel
    How do they compare to one another?
    I've been offered a Geddy Lee for my american P, can I don't know if I should trade...?

2. Have you not had a chance to inspect the Geddy first-hand?

3. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Mar 8, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Usually they are top-notch. Often comparable to US QC, at least the eras that were good, including post 2009 phase Fender is currently in. Only complaints that I have read about so far is the block inlays are painted on, most likely due to the neck being so thin. Other than that, they are fantastic basses. Unfortunately, a Jazz is different from a Precision, so trade wisely and with caution.

4. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User

Jul 29, 2010
    Downstate CA
    I dunno the market in Israel, but you may be better off selling the P and buying a used GL Jazz if that's what you're looking for. Unless you're being offered +cash on the trade, of course.

5. BMBassman

BMBassman

Jul 16, 2010
    I love my GL, and I think the CIJ label has helped these basses stay 'under the radar'. While the playability and sound compare favorably or even favor the GL, just as a dollar for dollar value question, I think you're being taken. GL + cash (around $300, I dunno...), I'd make that trade all day long.
    I'm still figuring out what my 'bass portfolio' should include. Is there a distinct reason to keep both (GL Jazz and P bass)? Curious for others' opinions...

6. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    what year is your American P? This has a LOT to do in deciding if it's a good trade or not.

7. 1st year of production of the Geddy Lee basses had actual inlays, if I'm not mistaken.

8. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

+1.

If your P is 2008 and newer, it is worth more that a GL ($1199 retail vs. $899-999)

Al older MIA is likely still worth a bit more than a GL. Rare to see a used MIA go for under $750USD but the odd GL goes in the $650-700 range.

As far as quality, the GLs I have owned were great playing and sounding bases. Top notch QC.

The only issue I have with GL basses is that they can be on the heavy side.

9. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I forgot about this because I sold it a couple years ago, but I got my Geddy from Guitar Center and traded my 95 US made Jazz bass for it. The Geddy played better, sounded better, and just felt better in my hands.

10. edgaroviz

edgaroviz

Aug 8, 2011
    Israel
    Mine is 2007.

11. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    Man... those Geddys are just a joy to play. Very thin and ridiculously fast. Did they have a glossed neck though? I remember hating that one part about it, but I may be thinking of another bass with that feature.

12. Its hard to compare. If anyone says one blows the other out of the water - they have no idea what they are talking about.

Both will be roughly the same... the MIA should have shielding while the MIJ wont - thats about the most significant difference.