Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Geddy lee jazz and Fenders 60 jazz comparison question.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stinkoman20xx, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    I finally got to play a Geddy lee jazz bass and i loved it! Its tone is simllar to a vintage jazz 72 and 69 I played and 78 jazz I used to own.But the 72 and 69 both with rosewoods seemed to have more bite then the geddy and I seen the fender 60 series jazz bass and wondering if its more growly in tone then the GL and compared to an actual vintage jazz. Im not talking about the expensive ones more of the $630 sam ash.com sales

2. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    bump. Any help would be nice.

3. Hmm, I would think the exact opposite. From most reviews and samples I've heard the Geddy has quite a bit of bite. Maple boards tend to be snappier and brighter than rosewood.

4. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I've played the Geddy Lee, and I own the '60s Classic.

IME, the GL was a little brighter and more "aggressive". I believe this is due to the maple fretboard and the Badass bridge. The GL also has a slimmer neck.

The basses are really in the same ballpark. I think you could make one sound very close to the other with a tweak of the amp and the right string selection.

I purchased the '60s Classic Jazz because the (bigger than the Geddy Lee) neck fit in my hand like it was made for it.

Try to find a way to play both. The difference in necks will probably help you decide between them right away.

5. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    I would say the rosewood board is going to give you a warmer tone than the Geddy maple neck. But given the fact that these aren't intended to be top line basses (not to say they aren't nice) you can't expect the stock pickups to be the last word on what these basses are capable of. If out of the box tone is all your concerned about that's fine. But consider what effect the different neck woods are going to give you when using upgraded pickups and not necessarily the lower quality stock pick ups now.

6. sal paradise

sal paradise

Aug 12, 2004
    NJ
    I own the 60's bass. To me, the geddy sounds a little cleaner and more articulate- but it has a pencil for a neck. Though I wish the 60's had bigger neck too, it does play very easily. It has a slick finish which is very comfortable. On the other hand i've had a real hard time with the neck in that it refuses to straighten out. I have high action, but i've gotten used to it. One thing i like about the Geddy is the Bad ass bridge; like most mexicans, the 60's jazz has a pretty horrible bridge, so its a nice upgrade. They're deffinately in the same ballpark, so just pick, which ever is most comfortable. It will probably end up being around the same price too if you're looking to upgrade them.

7. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I've played one of those '60s MIM Jazzes and thought they were pretty nice. That bridge is the same style bridge Fender has been using for over 40 years and it functions just as well now as it did then which it is on a '60s style bass: It belongs there.

By the way, if the action on yours is way too high, has it been professionally set up? Does the neck need shimming?

8. I own a Classic 60's and I've played a brand new Geddy and there is quite a bit of diference...

the 60s has a lot more vibe to it. its growlier and more velvety sounding. the Geddy is very Twangy, very sharp sounding. both sound great, but they are worlds apart IMO.

If you're a slapper, though I can get a pretty cool slap groove happening on my 60s, I'd say go with the Geddy, but if you love that vintage vibe, go with the 60s.

9. sal paradise

sal paradise

Aug 12, 2004
    NJ
    Yes, the neck has been worked on by a professional multiple times. And perhaps that style of bridge belongs on there, but not necessarily that specific bridge. It's deffinately not the same bridge that's on the american, deluxe, fmt series, etc. It's pretty poor quality.

10. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Sal;

You're right. It's not the same bridge that's on the American Series Fenders but it's the same style (if not the same) bridge that's on the RI basses which is the same threaded-saddle bridge that Fender used for decades as original equipment on Jazzes and Precisions. The newer American Series bridge is a dual purpose (through body or bridge stringing) whereas the vintage-style is string through bridge only.