Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Geddy Lee Jazz as a 2nd bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lil_bass_boy, Jul 3, 2002.

1. lil_bass_boy

lil_bass_boy Banned

Oct 25, 2001
    Maryland, USA
    Hey,

I'm now looking around to buy my second bass. I have found one that I really like. Its the Geddy Lee Jazz Bass. I did a search of this site and found that alot of people like this bass. But my budget is $500, and my local guitar shop has it for around $630. I am wondering if adding the extra 100 something dollars is really worth it. Has anyone had problems with it down the line?

Basically, is it worth going over budget?

Thanks,

Max

2. supergreg

supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    I say go for it. Its a great bass.

3. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    it's a great bass... i played it for about a year, and i always regretted selling it.
    BUT... is it worth the extra dough?
    hmmm.... tough one.
    if it was possible to scrounge up the extra money without doing something illegal, i'd probably go for it~

4. .... I hear that the Geddy Lee Jazz bass kicks ass because it's got that killer BadAss2 bridge:D I personally don't care for it because of those black inlays / binding. Reminds me of black electrical tape or something....... I have the 75 Jazz reissue with the with the pearl inlays and it's soooo sweet! um ah,, I hear that some people have had problems with the GL neck warpping on them.... Do some more research on it.... Good luck !

5. Isn't $630 a little high of a Geddy Lee? I usually see them go used for around $500 - $550.

It's a good bass, I'd try to see if they would come odwn on the price some though.

6. I like big, contrasting inlays - my Rick has the crushed pearl shark fin inlays in a rosewood fingerboard, and I like block inlays on a maple fingerboard. The GL Jazz fits the bill beautifully, not to mention it's pretty much the best bargain Fender currently offers!

Hell, it sure isn't bad as an only bass, it's a no brainer as a second!

--jeff

7. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    GREAT IDEA! Too bad i don't have a bass with a maple fretboard, i'd be putting electrical tape on it right now!

8. Take it, man. I'd get one if I played 4-strings. I know that it'd be very versatile--excellent for hard rock fingerstyle and pickwork (remember, much of Geddy's tone comes from that mutant fingernail of his), and a super-duper slapper thanks to the maple fingerboard.

9. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    personally i think that badass bridges are overrated. nice bridges, but not that big a deal.
    i thought my geddy lee (and other MIJ basses i've played) were nice because of the quality workmanship and MIA pickups. (i like the block inlays too :p )
    IME, the MIJ basses are in many ways on par with the MIA basses.

I guess it's possible that a neck could warp, just like it's possible with ANY bass (albeit a remote possibility). I would bet against that happening tough. My Geddy Lee jazz was setup perfectly for great action, and when i moved from NY to Atlanta, I never even had to tweak the trussrod! (but your mileage may vary~)

10. I will probably get some heat for this, but I am certainly not the first or last to say that the Jazz bass is certainly the benchmark of tone, and the MIJ quality is quite high. The BadAssII does make a crucial difference, especally in the sustain dept. I have not been a fan of maple fingerboards since the 80's, so that and the black-only color options don't do it for me. A good alternative is to get a MIM Jazz and add the BadAssII. If you shop around for the best deal on the bass (the larger mail-order companies will probably win that), you could even maybe come up with a case and still stay within budget...and have greater choice in color and fingerboard options.

11. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I would get the bass. I've had mine for awhile and have had no problems.

If you can find a used one in great condition for a better price, get it.

But for new at $630 that is a good price.

I was able to get mine new for $629.

The GL Jazz Bass is a nice bass.

Maybe put the $500 down and get the bass on a lay-a-way plan, shouldn't take to long to come up with the rest of the dough.

And pesonally I like the the black, block inlays on the maple board, it really stands out and looks good with the black body.

12. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    any music that you like playing along to a lot.

This bass is a geddy machine. it does warp but then again we have to ask the question are the a lot of temp changes where you live?

This bass is full of tone. Something you really dig into! also this bass is great for slap! sounds very similar to marcus miller without the snap of the ash body.

Also playing along to good ol' rock like round about
    by Yes. AhHHWWWW. Truely groove inducing tone!
    I found it easy to find a tone that matched the song (just basked off on the neck pup a touch)

The only problems i've had is with the tuners.

the bass is a good deal. I would like to see a body through bridge and some reinforcment for the neck. Way more sustain.

13. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    If it warps, you have a problem with the tuners, and you want to see way more sustain, how is that a good deal??? :confused:

14. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've heard about alot of people hearing about problems, but I've never heard of any 1st hand accounts.

It's a great bass & I'd go for it. If you could find a second hand one for a little less money, that's even better,

15. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I see the GL's on ebay pretty regularly..... I paid 600 new for mine... you should be able to talk them down.

I have had mine for about a year... no problems with the neck, the sound is great (but I did put dimarzio model j's in it), a great bass at a great price!

I don't think you will be disappointed...

P@

16. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I had a Geddy and didnt like it. Sold it two weeks later and got a MIA P instead.

17. I saw one at my local music store and it looked great.I picked it up and played it for a while through a Eden rig and it souded great and played well also.Almost made me want to play 4-strings again.Six bills for a good new jazz that you don't have to modify seems like a bargain.

18. Got to play one for about 3 minutes at Mars. I was talking to one of the guys and mentioned the Sting Bass, which led into talk of the Geddy Lee. He was talking about how mind-blowing it was, and I mentioned I had never played one. He runs to the back and grabs it for me, but when he gets back he says, "hang on, I've got something you've GOTTA see" and he returns in a few minutes with a '78 P-Bass with custom fretless job done on it.

But that's a bit off-topic, no? The 3 minutes I did play it, I dug it. It's rather heavy, but first impression was that the sound was better than a MIA J.

19. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    The reason why I said it is a good deal is because it does have awsome rock tones!

those problems I've had may be due to the place that I'm playing where heat changes are drastic and often. The tuners I would agree to go and get say a set of hipshots. And as for the bridge through and neck reinforcement I really use up that tightness on the strings. I find the tighter the easier to play. But for old rock and funk tones the way that you need to dig in is just right to get that old school sound. As my friend said about this bass

BALLSY
    :cool: