Geddy Lee Jazz Bass Jazzy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lsu921, Jan 13, 2004.

1. lsu921

Jun 6, 2003
    Addis, La
    I want to buy a Fender Jazz bass, and I'm considering either a MIM Deluxe Jazz, or a Geddy Lee Jazz. Since I've never known Geddy to play a lot of jazz :D, I'm wondering how much different it sounds as opposed to the MIM. I imagine it has more of a rock tone, but how much difference do you personally think? I have a ton of MIM I can try out locally, but no one carries the GL.
  2. actually the Geddy Lee has a much more classic Jazz bass tone than the MIM since it is modeled after Geddy's 1970 J bass.

I think the Geddy Lee is a better bass, and plus it looks sweet.
  3. All Jazz Basses made by Fender, sound like Jazz basses to my ears. (The only difference in sound, would be in the board wood.)

You are paying more for a name (signature series) than you are for difference in tone, IMHO.

Play as many as you can get your hands on, you be the judge.

4. Cygnus

Apr 27, 2003
    Quincy Ma.
    I recently purchased a Geddy Lee Jazz and I'm very happy with the sound. The neck is really sweet too. If you listen to the Moving Pictures album you will get an idea of what the bass sounds like. I can get that exact tone out of mine.

I did have a slight quality issue with my brand new bass however. The neck pup had a loose connection and had to be repaired. The neck pup would crackle and go in and out. It was an easy fix but annoying to say the least.
  5. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    yeah, it should. it is a geddy lee JAZZ BASS. and fender makes pretty damn good jazz basses... try it out!?
  6. Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    The Geddy Lee Jazz Bass has a BadAss 2 bridge, which IMO is the best upgrade to Fender basses ever.
  7. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    wow. yeah, i've seen and held one of those, really nice quality also!
  8. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    I own a Geddy at the moment and all of the above testimony is right on. It's a great little bass with a very vintage tone, great playability and construction. It's probably the nicest Fender I've ever played along with the American Deluxe series.

Also, as someone has mentioned and if it's your thing, you can duplicate Geddy's sound to the letter with this bass. I would take it over an MIM any day.