Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Geddy Lee Jazz Bass or MTD Heir

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by baobab_40k, Feb 11, 2003.

1. baobab_40k

baobab_40k

Feb 10, 2003
    NYC, NY
    Hi. I found a similar thread posted back in May of last year posing this question: MTD Heir or a GL Jazz Bass?

I've tried both, like both, just don't have the cash to buy both :(

Just curious about what others have to say on the subject that might help me one way or the other and see if the people who posted in the original thread have any updated comments on the subject. Thanks in advance.

2. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    If you are looking to buy a Geddy Lee, be careful - there are apparently quite a few with defective necks. Don't buy used on eBay or elsewhere without checking it out before you buy. Fender guarantee does not transfer to second owners on these and you could find yourself stuck.

I have seen a number of complaints about this problem over the past year.

Caveat emptor!:bawl:

3. baobab_40k

baobab_40k

Feb 10, 2003
    NYC, NY
    Wow, thanks for the heads up about the GL. Are there any similar problems with the MTD Heirs? I'm probably going to buy via mail-order to avoid the super-high sales tax here and if the Geddy Lee is a crap shoot, I may have to rethink that.

4. baobab_40k

baobab_40k

Feb 10, 2003
    NYC, NY
    Guess I shoulda made this a poll :p

5. I have an Heir and the neck is plenty tight in the joint. I've noticed no construction problems at all.

6. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Sorry, I know nothing about them at all.

7. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Yes, some GL Jazzes had bum necks. I had one, and needed to get a replacement from Fender, but it's been great since then. The problem with mine was the truss rod installation was faulty such that the neck wouldn't allow sufficient backbow. The action was much too high with the truss rod maxed, so that neck had to come off.

The neck pockets I've seen on the Korean MTD's have been very tight and consistent.

Overall though, I enjoy playing the GL a lot more, and I gig with it regularly. The MTD is more of a practice bass or backup for me. It sounds good and plays well, but I've never gigged with it. I actually would like to make it active, so I'll need to research some mods on that.

8. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The Heirs have very nice necks, particulary the 5.

The Geddy Lee is a great slap bass.

9. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I'd go with the GL Jazz.

10. baobab_40k

baobab_40k

Feb 10, 2003
    NYC, NY
    but I used to own a MTD 635...and i LOVED that bass. They just both play so well. I guess the Geddy's tone would let me fit into more situations, being that it's a Jazz Bass and all.

I'm just gonna have to go play both again before I make up my mind. :D