Geddy Lee Jazz Bass Players

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ninthwondernj, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Is it a good buy....because its between that and an all black Fender American P.....tell me what you like about your Geddy's
  2. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    They're nice. They're highly thought of in these parts of the internet. Also, the seach function is nice. Try it.
  3. Well....

I can't compare it to other Fender J's since I don't have another.

Mainly, the features that differ it from the others make it special, and in my view, good.

It has the "vintage" pickups, which to my ear sound good. Many folks around here change them out. To me, what's the point of getting "this" bass if you remove the pickups - that is where at least part of the tone comes from.

The bass sounds a bit thin and anemic when played solo - but in a mix with drums and guitar it rocks.

And of course, the neck is slimmed down from the already slim jazz neck, so you may/may not like that.

Last for me is the cool appearance - not all that important to me but a very big deal to some.
  4. great bass for the money! I just can't stand the thin neck
  5. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Bar none, one of the best Fender J's I've EVER touched at any price level, and I've spent decent time on lot's of them... early 60's J's, 70's J's, 80's-today MIJ/CIJ, MIA, and MIA Deluxe.

In my case, I LOVE that thin neck. It's EFFORTLESS to play. The tone kills, I've gotten as many comments on it as any of my other basses (see my gear link), even had a sound guy (also part time bass player) specifically request I bring it to gigs.

I have to say I did alter it, tho. I totally loved the tone of the original MIA "Vintage" pickups (whatever the heck that means), but I have a low tolerance for SC hum, and especially in some of the cruel venues we play, so I dropped some DiMarzio DP123 "Model J" pickups in there. No muss, no fuss, no battery, just humbucking. THANKFULLY, the tone was still very much there, so I didn't have to pull them right back out and suffer.

I also hate VVT elex, so I rewired it to PVT, but that doesn't really affect tone much if at all. Just an fyi.
  6. HooBass

May 27, 2003

When I first plugged my GL in in the relative silence of my home, I was disappointed. I was used to the scooped-ish tone of my Stingray. I tried out recording the GL through my "standard" signal processing line up, and it was still yucky. Then I recorded it **flat** with no processing, no EQ. Voila! I had the rock tone (actually more like 70:30 of the tone) that I have been looking for for quite a while. I do now add processing and EQ, but it was nice to *start* with tone that sounds growly and aggressive.

As you'll find elsewhere in the forum, there has been discussion about the stability of the neck -- I won't profess an opinion, however, I'll say that I did some tweaking of mine and shimmed the neck, and it's been stable and had great action ever since.

Also, had a truss rod access channel routed, as you'll find others have done -- If not done one must remove the neck to adjust the truss rod. However, this was cheap and easy (dremel'ed it, black magic marker over the channel, and then cover it all back up again with pick guard).

Finally, its value:cost ratio is great. Note I got mine scratched and dented, which amplified this.

7. I've had my GL for about a month and it is one of the best Fenders you can get for the money. I don't know if its better than a MIA P, different sound. The thin neck feels great IMHO, vintage 70's tone is nice so why swap out the pups. It would also depend on how much for the MIA but for 600+, it's hard to go wrong with the Geddy. Oh, it looks great!
  8. relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    I used to have one and it kicked ass. I sold it because I had gotten a Modulus Flea the same color.
    Damn I'm an idiot! Damn I'm an idiot! Damn I'm an idiot!