Geddy Lee Jazz Bass- pros+ cons?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nunk6, Apr 27, 2001.

1. nunk6

Jul 29, 2000
    ive read many reviews on the geddy lee signature jazz bass by Fender and all of them were very positive;
    I've tried this bass in a local shop, and loved the sound and feel,
    --but im curious as to what problems you owners may have encountered since i only tried it out for about 5 minutes
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I have found no fault with my Geddy Lee model.

bassheavy, why is the fact that the bass in MIJ a con?

Japanese stuff is as good as USA made production stuff IME, often better. Granted, not on par with handmade USA stuff, but then the high end Japanese handmades are near the USA high end stuff.
  3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Pro's-Everything. It had to be the best JAzz bass I ever played. The neck was GREAT.

Con's-I compulsivly buy & sell alot of stuff, the GL Jazz being one I compulsivly sold. :(

I'd have to say it being made in Japan is a pro cause if it was made in the usa it's cost WELL over $1500.
  4. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Oddly enough I played one the other day in a Mars store and I thought that it was a bit thin sounding. This was a little disappointing. Maybe it was just the amp as I was playing through an SWR Redhead.

I will say that the GL was very easy to play and had a nice feel to it. I too like the block inlays. I also agree that the Japanese Fenders are really well made instruments. If you like the bass then go for it. I wouldn't worry about anything negative (cons).

BTW the GL at Mars was $639 which I thought was a screaming good deal. I had heard that these were discontinued because they were a limited issue.
  5. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Care to explain why?:confused:
  6. ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    The Only con to the Geddy Lee Jazz Bass is that you have to take your pickguard off to access the truss rod.
  7. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    No no, that's definitely a pro.
  8. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Actually I prefer to take the neck off, it's only 4 bolts and then you have better access to the truss rod adjustment. And, of course, this is true to the vintage design after which it was replicated.

After 14 months of ownership I've experienced no problems with my Geddy Lee Jazz. I think it is the best value Fender Jazz available. Get a quote from Bass Northwest, you'll be glad you did.
  9. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    What did you buy yours for? Was it at Bass NW?
  10. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    RAM, I bought mine used from Beaver Felton at Bass Central, $540 w/SKB hardcase. The reason I suggest BNW is I've heard quotes of $600 for a new Geddy and I haven't seen a new one at that price anywhere else.
  11. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Pros - everything about it, given that the fit on everything is in good order

Cons - the tuners have some play in them, a simple upgrade would make it perfect

And I agree, MIJ is a pro in this case. If the GL were MIA, it would not be as accesible price-wise, and I doubt it would be even marginally better.

I've seen plenty MIA's that cost twice as much as the GL, and quite honestly, most MIA's don't warrant their price tags. These comments are to be taken as Fender specific, I have other American made basses that exhibit excellent build quality...but they aren't Fenders.

Well, except for my old 70's 3 bolt Fender Jazz with the unstable neck joint. :rolleyes:
  12. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    *DarkMazda is Japanese* :(
  13. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    You have some issues.

P.S. if you haven't noticed, latley, B.C. Rich has been making MOST of their instruments over seas @ placed like Indonesia & China where quality is much lower than anything that comes out of Japan. I've seen a couple of older USA B.C. Rich's & the newer USA's don't come close!!!!
  14. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I love racists.

"Youre Japanese? Call your country, and tell them to try harder!"
  15. Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    I'm not likin where this post is goin.
  16. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Me either!!! :(
  17. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    Back to the subject at hand....

I have heard great things about GL's, BUT I have also heard a few folks voice some concerns over the GL's neck being thin and therefore a bit weak. I recall one fella from the Fender page having a hard time getting the neck intonated and buzz free! I dont know if it was the fact that he was trying to put strings that were far too heavey for a bass that intentionally has a shaved down neck(Geddy wanted the Fender to play like his Ric, so he had Fender shave down his original J, so the Sig Mod also has a shaved down thinner neck). Gwddy also wanted to have the J to have a little more bite like his Ric, so the PUPs are wound differently I believe! That could be the reason for it sounding thinner than most J's.

I do agree that the Japanese basses are just as good as the MIA's as far as wood and construction, but the hardware and the electronics can be weaker on some mods. I had a 75 MIJ reissue that was a better playing bass than an identical MIA, but the MIA J that I have now is better than both of those basses. I think it is really personal tastes.

Hope this helps.
  18. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    The GL has USA 62 Reissue pickups in it. It might be the grade of alder they use for the body that makes it sound thinner. I agree that the GL sound alittle thinner than the USA 75 RI or the Amer Std, but the neck on the GL is AWESOME. IMO. I've seen the Marcus Miller natural ash bodies & it didn't look as nice as the Amer Std. The 75 USA reissue nat ash was much nicer looking & sounding than the Amer std & the MM combined.
  19. seamus

Feb 8, 2001

Just got my call today that my new GL Jazz is shipping to me. It's brand new in the box, straight from Fender, to the dealer, to me. No fingerprints or scratches to look out for, what a relief.

This is the one I am going to keep original, for both the sound, and to retain the original specs of the bass itself. I made mods to my other one that turned out real nice, and even though I have all the original parts, I want to have a GL that's untouched. :)

By the way, I ordered mine from Washington Music Center, they had the hands down best price I could find. They don't post prices on their site, so I will not post one here. If you call them or email them though, they can quote you a price. Let's just say I am getting a brand new, in the box, absolutely untouched GL delivered for well under $600.
  20. funkastorious

May 26, 2000
    Mpls, MN.
    Geez, you guys are simply being way TOO nice about the GL.

I bought a GL last Fall and was surprised and disappointed.....

Pros - Black Jazz, Mple Board w/block inlays. Those are just superrrrrr cool. The passive stock sound is pretty cool, but nothing to really brag about. In general, a "good" bang for the buck. On paper, a very good set of features.

Cons - Tuners SUCK REALLY bad! Too much play, very cheap, very unrealiable. NOISEY pups...well, what can ya say? Strap buttons....urghh. Lacks a little bit of "in your face" bass.

With that is mind, here's what I did (am doing). The GL is not a giggable bass for me, it's just a little toy to dink around with....

1) Shielded the cavities with foil (although I would have rather used paint. ($15)
    2) Installed Strap locks ($20)
    3) Installed a J-retro preamp ($185 used)
    4) Will be installing Hipshot Classic tuners ($75)

So, that $600 GL is now a $900 workable bass. The neck may be a tiny bit thin and not something I would like to get used to, but I haven't had any problems.

I'm not wild about the Truss Ad not being accessible, but that's the way that it it. I've seen aftermarket mods to gain access and they ALL looked bad. Also, if you have a problem with the BADASS, then don't buy the bass. It won't be the same it. IMO, it's a great bridge.

So, in a nutshell, the GL is a great bass. But, prepare yourself for some upgrades.....