1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Geddy Lee Jazz Bass vs. standard Fender Jazz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rockles, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Rockles

Rockles

Feb 26, 2008
    What kind of noticable differences are there?

2. I didn't spend too much time with the Geddy, but what I noticed right away was the neck. It seemed so much slimmer that it became a very different animal than the Jazz basses I've been used to. It seemed brighter, as well.

3. Dpduder

Dpduder

Mar 27, 2007
    Gorham, ME
    geddy has:
    70s pickup spacing
    slimmer profile neck
    Poly finished neck
    MIA pickups
    Stock BA2
    Vintage style tuners

While the standard jazz (mim i assume) has:
    60's pickup spacing
    cheaper pickups
    Lighter-weight, cheaper tuners
    bent steel bridge
    generally lower build quality

4. Rockles

Rockles

Feb 26, 2008
    yeah its made in mexico, and thanks for the input, im thinking about saving up for a Geddy sometime in the near future, but i needed to see if its really worth the extra cash.

5. daddycal

daddycal

Apr 3, 2007
    Endorsing Artist: Eden Electronics, Music Man Basses
    Geddy is the way to go.

6. Rockles

Rockles

Feb 26, 2008
    I play the made in mexico Fender Jazz right now, and i wish i knew that the Geddy was so much better years ago, before i bought the standard one.

7. I have a '92 MIM jazz that I got off of Ebay. I didn't know what to expect but when I got it all was fine. A couple of chips here and there but it plays and feels well. I got a Geddy a few weeks ago and it's a heavier bass and appears to be have a brighter, punchier sound. The neck is thinner and feels good to me. I put some flats on mine and you can really move on it. The hardware such as the tuners seem to be better than the Standard version. I tune my basses each time I play them but the Geddy holds it's tuning good. The BadAss bridge is nice too. All in all, I do like the Geddy better but I still play the MIM quite a bit.

8. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Just get a Geddy. The End.

9. Yeah, what you said...get the Geddy.