Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

geddy lee jazz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steve7, Feb 1, 2001.

1. steve7

steve7

Feb 1, 2001
    I just bought a Geddy Lee Jazz Bass primarily based on how comfortable it is to play (I have small hands), and I love the look.
    The group I play with does a lot of older classic tunes in
    which I utilize alot of walking bass lines and chord arpeggios. The strings seem very bright to me. Since I don't slap and pop I was wondering how a set of Fender Flat Wound strings would sound on this bass.
    I'm not the best player in the world but nobody has thrown bottles at us when we play and folks even dance and sing along at our gigs. Do the flats give a deeper tone? Whats the upside/downside. Thanks for your help...nice forum.

2. Congrats on the GL! Great bass!

Upside of flats--strong fundamental, thump, quick decay, low to no string noise, lowest possible wear on frets and fretboard, smooth to the fingers, more of the classic Motown vibe, if you like.

Downside--less sustain to notes, higher tension (with exceptions like Thomastik-Infelds), you need to LIKE the sound of flats :D That's all that comes to mind. If you like 'em, they have a lot to offer.

Look at the new issue of Bass Player, there is a nice article in it discussing flats.

3. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    I had Fender flats on my GL but found the G a little too twangy. I have TI flats on it now and they are very nice strings. However I just ordered some Elixirs because I actually want a little more brightness than I'm getting with the flats. Try a set of the TI flats and give em 3 or 4 weeks time to break in.

4. lowfreakwency

lowfreakwency

Dec 28, 2000
    Like MJB, I put TI Jazz Flats on my Geddy. I also think I'm now missing some of the twang that I need.
    I'll probably try nickel rounds next.

I put the TIs on my PBass and think they sound great. I only wish they were a little heavier in gauge.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

lowfreakwency, you might give Elixirs a shot.

I have them on my Geddy and they are perfect for it to my ears.

6. lowfreakwency

lowfreakwency

Dec 28, 2000
    em, do they give you a good sound with the thumb slap-and-pop style? Although I like the sound of the GL-TI combo with finger playing, but when I need the funk it's not there.

Also, I'm not real keen on the gauge of the TIs. I used my P the other day and had a lot of trouble staying on the string. I assume the elixers come a little heavier?

7. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm thinking of buying a GL this summer. The only thing I don't like is the damn color!!! :D

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

lowfreakwency, they are not as bright as stainless steels, but with the maple board, they are bright enough for me.

I get a great slap sound out of them.

9. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Just as a note on the Elixers. They have come out with a new line called Nanoweb. They have less Goretex on them and look like regular roundwounds. I was told that they may be discontinuing the regular Elixers. GC has a sell going on through Feb. $20 for 4 strings and $29 for a 5 string set of the Nanowebs. I just put a set on my fretless and seem to think they are kinda nice, but time will tell.