Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Geddy Lee Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by By-Tor, Jul 31, 2001.

1. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I got my Geddy Lee Fender Jazz Bass today and I love it.
    The neck is small and fast. This bass is pretty awesome.
    I never played a Fender Jazz bass before, i've been missing out, but not now. I got to plug it into my Trace Elliot for a while and no sadness or disappointment there.
    Unfortunatly I have to go to work. 12 hours with out my Geddy Lee Jazz Bass or my GT-7 or my Kubiki. I don't know if I can take it.

2. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Cool man.

Yeah I like the GL's a lot for a mid-priced Fender. The neck is definitely a player, it's specs are slightly different from all other Jazz necks as I understand it.

Apparently this is true to form as there were slight radius and width modifications that Geddy requested on his '72 upon which this MIJ is modeled.

Enjoy!

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Congrats, By-Tor!:)

I have one, and it's my favorite 4 string.

4. Has anyone tried it out with flatwounds yet???

5. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I havetried TI Flats on it, and they play quite well. I'm afraid I'm not a flatwound kind of guy though, so they did not last long. :(

I agree em, I think it's my favorite 4 as well.

6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Great bass. Congrats!!!!

Hey, just bring your rig to work. I don't think your boss will mind. ;)

7. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Actually I did take the G.L. Jazz to work.
    I couldn't resist.

Hey, that's what breaks are for.

8. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Here's a horrid little webcam pic I took last night, really makes the bass look like hell. :(

[​IMG]

The mods are hard to see: J-Retro, pearl p/g, and Schaller buttons. Though the specs state it should have stock Schallers, it did not. Finally, I'll add some aftermarket tuners, vintage style of course. :)

I have another GL that is literally in mint condition, totally unmodified. It was on pre-order when arriving in the last overseas shipment. It went straight from Fender, to the dealer, to my door. It was still in the Fender box, I can't remember the date in the pocket, but it was made earlier this year. It's simply pristine, I love knowing there've been no grimy paws on a bass when I get it = no scratches, scuffs, or otherwise.

By-Tor, that's cracking me up that you brought your bass to work! [​IMG]