Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Geddy Lee Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WillySanchez, Dec 17, 2001.

1. Are these bases any good, I am a big Jazz bass fan, I've had too, I am looking for another, and I fancy the GL jazz bass. Since I dont have any around here to play, how do they sound?

2. The geddy lee is a sweet bass and a great bargain. IMO it has more features, a better tone, a faster playing neck, and a cooler look than the american J's. Listen to a recent geddy lee album to hear what it sounds like (on the older ones he used a lot of ricks), it's just like that. Sounds very modern. I'm not even a geddy lee fan by any means. I find his writing style cheesy, but I really like his bass.

On the other hand I have heard a lot of complaints about the truss rods maxing. One thing that I don't like about the GL is that the bridge pickup is a little closer to the bridge than most J's. Fender did this in the early 70's (I don't remember the exact years). The BA bridge might make it seem even closer due to it's bulkiness. This makes it Fairly awkward to play on the back pickup. But that will only be a problem if you play on the back pickup often.