1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Geddy Lee jazz cutting out

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassbounce, Aug 23, 2012.

1. bassbounce

bassbounce

Apr 22, 2009
    I'll admit I'm a failed bassist and it mostly hangs on my wall. I've noticed over the past few months that when I plug it into my practice amp, it cuts out.

Could it simply be dust or something more serious? I barely play it let alone play around with the electronics.

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It could be as simple as dirt in the jacks, including the various unused jacks on the amp. Or could be a solder joint in the bass, or at the input of the amp, that's starting to pull apart. Or it could be a fault in the cable you use.

Clean the jacks, all of them. If there's still a problem, try a different cable. If that doesn't do it, then take your bass to somebody who can check the wiring and resolder as needed.

3. brians515

brians515

Aug 29, 2012
    @bongomania, would you simply use some canned air to clean out the jacks?

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    No, you'd want a spray-liquid contact cleaner like Caig's, which is available at Radio Shack and online and at pro audio shops. You spray a quick shot in, and then plug/unplug a cable in/out of the jack a dozen or so times to scrub away the crud.