Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Geddy Lee Jazz In Different Colors?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cantstandsya, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Does anyone know if the Geddy Lee Jazz Bass comes in any colors besides black?

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    It doesn't.

3. ...but valenti can make you an excellent version in other colors! ;)

nino's red "geddy" is still the best looking non-geddy i've ever seen.

4. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Just like Henry Ford said when the Model-T was intoduced, "Any color you want, as long as it's black".

5. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    I'll drink to that. Only thing better would be if it were blue

6. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I had a dream... i was at GC...there was a wall of geddy's in all different colors. it ruled. even some with matching headstocks.

7. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    Hells yes. I would love to see a Geddy in Sunburst (like the one pictured on Bass Guitar).

8. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    It's not really a "non-Geddy":

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    :)

9. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Hey nino dont you play too close to the bridge??? I tried it once but the only string that sounded good was the LowB

10. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    I play right over the bridge pickup. That just a weird angle.

11. Well it wouldn't really be a Geddy Lee bass would it? After all, he plays a black one.
    I have another question about GL basses.:confused: When did Fender first make them? I saw a bass advertised as an original Geddy bass from the early eighties. IIRC, wasn't he playing Rics back then? I'm sure they made black Jazz basses with bound maple necks with black blocks, but that doesn't make it a Geddy Lee bass does it?

12. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España

Ohhh ok, the same I do but I put my thumb on the neck piickup.

13. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Me too.

14. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    [​IMG]
    Looks red to me. ;)

He also plays a sunburst one on occasion but the black one is played for most of the set.

15. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I love Geddy's red jazz, that bass is just too cool.

Geddy did play his Ric in the eighties, but not very much.
    In the early eighties, mostly his jazz bass, Permant Wave, Moving Pictures. Then came the Steinberger and the Wal.
    Then back to the Jazz basses.

16. LizzyD

LizzyD Chocoholic

Oct 15, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Sadowsky Artist
    I don't know when exactly they started making them, but it may have been around '97 when Test For Echo was out. I only ever saw them in catalogs, never in any stores. I wondered if/when they were going to be discontinued, because Fender called them Limited Editions. When Rush had their "comeback" a couple years ago, I started seeing the Geddy bass in the stores all the time. They've become so popular I can't imagine they'd be discontinued now.

AFAIK, Geddy went back to using the Jazz exclusively on the Counterparts album, which came out in '93.

17. nino - no offense to the "non-geddy" comment. i was strictly speaking of the signature model made by fender. :)

maybe it's the flame maple/lack of pickguard on mr. lee's red "2112" bass that makes me think your red valenti looks more like the signature than the real red jazz he plays.

either way, that is one smokin bass you got there! if it was a five string, i would break into your house to steal it... i mean, look at it. yeah, that's it! ;)

for anyone wondering the red bass is tuned down a whole step for the song 2112. he has another he plays in drop d tuning for driven and maybe something else. can't remember right now.

back on topic. cantstandsya - if you have the money, and it's not alot for how much everyone raves about his basses... get a valenti!

p.s. lizzy - you still have your geddy? great bass isn't it? i wish i hadn't sold mine.

18. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    None taken, any excuse to show my ugly mug is good enough excuse for me. :bassist:

Thanks. :)