1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Geddy Lee Jazz Light Tuner Replacements?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Aram, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    I know there are a ton of GL mod threads, but I searched as many as I could and could not find which light weight tuners are drop-in replacements.

By "drop-in" I mean the hole size matches up exactly...I don't mind if I have to drill holes for the screws that hold the tuner in place on the back of the headstock (although it would be nice if those matched up too).

Can anyone point me towards which light weight tuners would work in this capacity, with out a bunch of modification to the headstock?

Many thanks,
    Aram

2. I am also interested in this...

I called hipshot a few days ago and am currently waiting for a return call. Also looking for a drop-d...

3. Ok, just got off the phone with Hipshot.

They say that the regular series is HB-2 and the drop d is BT-2.

The lightweight version is HB6C - 1/2''.

According to him, the holes in the headstock should be 11/16 and they should drop in without modification for the regular series and the lightweight. Although looking at the picture of the lightweight ones I am not sure if the screw goes in the existing hole or if you have to create a new screw hole.

If anyone can confirm this worked for them, it would be appreciated.

4. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Yeah it looks like only non-ultralight Hipshots are 11/16"...the UL's are all 1/2" or 3/8"...at least that I can find on their site.

5. I have an email out to Schaller as well.

According to Hipshot, they said use the 1/2 UL's.

6. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Nice -- thanks for looking into this as well fenderjazz68. I wonder if Fender's own ultralight tuner is 11/16"...

7. Here is what Fenders web site states about the lightweight version....

I ordered up the Hipshot UL's, so I'll tell you if they work when they get here.

8. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I just put Ultralites in a StingRay. 1/2" post. They fit perfectly (took me 5 minutes to install), but you have to place one single screw to anchor the new keys. The four original screw holes will be exposed.

A very small price to save weight.

Hipshot has direct-replacement keys for Fenders (which cover the original holes), but those are not Ultralites. You will still save a few ounces, but with Ultralites you are saving 1/2 the weight (replacing typical original Fender keys).

I replaced five Schaller BM keys in my StingRay 5 and save a little over 6 ounces, or the equivalent of taking 2 tuning keys off. Each Schaller BM is 3.2 oz; each Ultralite is 2 oz.

9. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Thanks for the info, lefty -- but it sounds like the SR5 had 1/2" holes already? The Geddy has 11/16" holes, which is why we're having trouble finding tuners that fit it perfectly. I'm starting to think they don't exist.

10. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    It's the same thing. 11/16 will fit 1/2, or viceversa. The ultralite tuners are slightly smaller than the string-post hole, but with the nut and screw it stays in place tightly. I believe Fenders and Music Mans have the same size hole.

11. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Really?? So the nut is big enough to cover the hole, and it won't wiggle around in there? I guess I could always send them back if it doesn't work out.

Ok, Hipshot UL's it is.

Thanks again,
    Aram

12. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    It does wiggle just a bit when you are installing them, but the tuners have a bolt that tightens the whole thing, and then you have the one screw in the back that further prevents it from moving. Once everything is tighten as it's supposed to, it's all solid.

HB6C - 1/2" - that is what I ordered.

13. I've used the ultralites in a Fender headstock before, you have to drill one new screw hole for each tuner but they fit fine.

'Hipshot HB6C Ultralite tuner for bass guitar. At 57 grams each, USA-made Ultralite series tuners are almost 50% lighter than full-size Fender keys. Great for neck heavy basses! Reversible for right or left hand use. Chrome finish with cloverleaf key. Tuner post is 1/2" and fits 11/16" peghead holes. Includes bushings and mounting hardware'

14. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Awesome, thanks guys!

15. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    Oh.... I don't know, man.

I'm not 100% sure but I think that the 1/2" Ultralights will be too big for the headstock holes of the Geddy Lee. Regardless of what Hipshot says.

Here's why:

I use 1/2" Ultralights on all of my American Fenders -Perfect fit, every time.

I had a set waiting for a Japanese Fender 75 Jazz Reissue when it arrived. When I went to put them on they were too large. The Japanese model has smaller headstock holes. I had to go with 3/8" Ultralights.

The Geddy is essentially a Japanese Reissue so you might run into the same issue. The only exception that might help is that the Geddys are made for the American market whereas the Japanese 75 RI I bought was intended for the Japanese market. I doubt that will make a difference, but it's possible.

Defnitely let us know how it turns out.

16. I am not exactly sure either, but I am giving it a shot...:meh:

17. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    If they don't fit and you contact Hipshot directly they'll probably swap 'em for ya. They're cool like that.

18. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Gotoh Res-o-lite tuners. I have a set on one of my basses and I believe they are drop in.

I'll try and remember where I got mine as they are hard to come by.

19. Yeap.

20. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Sweet! I know Planet Bass carries Gotoh. I'll have to give them a call.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 20, 2021