Geddy Lee Jazz: no more glossy neck!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LizzyD, Jul 29, 2004.

1. LizzyD

LizzyD Chocoholic

Oct 15, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Sadowsky Artist
    I'd been thinking about doing this for a long time, but after a particularly sweaty rehearsal last weekend (due to a heatwave we don't see often here) my Geddy Lee Jazz neck was so annoyingly sticky I went home and took sandpaper to it. I very lightly sanded the back of the neck to remove the gloss, and smoothed it out with steel wool. I also dulled the gloss on the fretboard too, with just the steel wool. It looks quite nice with the satin, and I love the way this neck feels even more now than I did before.

Just felt like sharing. Anybody else do this to their Geddy, or any other glossy neck?
  2. natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I've got a '75 RI with that same neck. I do like the glossy finish though. It does tend to get sticky and I have to clean it before every gig.
  3. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I've done the same to my Ibanez SR-1206 sixer in a fit of "Kentucky Humidity Rage" a few years back, and wished I'd done it years before that. :D I didn't use any sandpaper, and instead used 0000-grade steel wool for the whole project - it most likely added time, but I had more than enough on my hands.

Lizzy, did you tape off your electronics or remove the neck, or did the gods of Rush (or their priests in the Temple ;)) look down upon you and spare you steel filings in your pickups? I've heard that's the main concern when sanding a neck.
  4. LizzyD

LizzyD Chocoholic

Oct 15, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Sadowsky Artist
    Yeah, I removed the neck altogether and kept it far away from the pickups while I was working on it. It was overdue for a string change too, so I figured while I had them off I might as well go all out. I wouldn't want to try sanding it while it was would probably look crappy down at the butt end if I didn't get all around it on the sides. The headstock remains glossy though, I sort of made it a gradual fade. I'll touch up around the frets a bit more next time I have the strings off. It's still a little sloppy...but I was in a hurry! :hyper:
  5. i used to have a MIM jazz from which i sanded the finish off completely. i then oiled the neck. very sweet.

6. I like the gloss finish on my Geddy. It's not very sticky, like other glossy necks I've played before.

But then again, I have yet to play the thing in great heat and humidity for long periods of time. The sweet may make it stickier than how I know mine.