1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Geddy Lee Jazz: no more glossy neck!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LizzyD, Jul 29, 2004.

1. LizzyD

LizzyD Chocoholic

Oct 15, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Sadowsky Artist
    I'd been thinking about doing this for a long time, but after a particularly sweaty rehearsal last weekend (due to a heatwave we don't see often here) my Geddy Lee Jazz neck was so annoyingly sticky I went home and took sandpaper to it. I very lightly sanded the back of the neck to remove the gloss, and smoothed it out with steel wool. I also dulled the gloss on the fretboard too, with just the steel wool. It looks quite nice with the satin, and I love the way this neck feels even more now than I did before.

Just felt like sharing. Anybody else do this to their Geddy, or any other glossy neck?

2. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I've got a '75 RI with that same neck. I do like the glossy finish though. It does tend to get sticky and I have to clean it before every gig.

3. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I've done the same to my Ibanez SR-1206 sixer in a fit of "Kentucky Humidity Rage" a few years back, and wished I'd done it years before that. :D I didn't use any sandpaper, and instead used 0000-grade steel wool for the whole project - it most likely added time, but I had more than enough on my hands.

Lizzy, did you tape off your electronics or remove the neck, or did the gods of Rush (or their priests in the Temple ;)) look down upon you and spare you steel filings in your pickups? I've heard that's the main concern when sanding a neck.

4. LizzyD

LizzyD Chocoholic

Oct 15, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Sadowsky Artist
    Yeah, I removed the neck altogether and kept it far away from the pickups while I was working on it. It was overdue for a string change too, so I figured while I had them off I might as well go all out. I wouldn't want to try sanding it while it was on...it would probably look crappy down at the butt end if I didn't get all around it on the sides. The headstock remains glossy though, I sort of made it a gradual fade. I'll touch up around the frets a bit more next time I have the strings off. It's still a little sloppy...but I was in a hurry! :hyper:

5. i used to have a MIM jazz from which i sanded the finish off completely. i then oiled the neck. very sweet.

robb.

6. I like the gloss finish on my Geddy. It's not very sticky, like other glossy necks I've played before.

But then again, I have yet to play the thing in great heat and humidity for long periods of time. The sweet may make it stickier than how I know mine.