Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Geddy Lee Jazz or MIA Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Greg Huff, Jan 31, 2006.

1. I was down at a local music shop and they have a new geddy lee and a used MIA jazz for the same price, so I wanna see what you guys think is better. :help:

2. I think the MIA is better but
    which neck did you prefer?

I like bigger p-bass necks and find
    the Geddy way too small for me-
    It felt thinner/narrower than
    the MIA J's I've played.

3. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    It really depends on which bass YOU like better. I own a Geddy Lee and I love the way it sounds, and how incredibly well built it is. I really loved the neck when I first bought it, but now I am beginning to realize that the slim and thin neck doesn't work as well for me. I find that my left hand starts to cramp up on some songs where I play exclusively in the lowest register on the E and A strings.

In the end, I'd say that it's purely subjective, based on which one you like better.

4. i like p basses better then jazz, and when i was out buying one i really didnt like the japan one i played

i'd say go MIA but play both, which ever you like is the one you should get.

5. Bass Guido

Bass Guido

Dec 7, 2005
    I presently own 1 of each. An 05 Geddy and an 01 MIA with a maple fret board. Both are great bases. The quality is really very close. Weight and balance are not far off either. Some people feel the tuners on the Geddy are cheaply made. I'll agree that mine are a little shaky, but they absolutely stay in tune. The necks are one major difference. I have short fingers, so when I first played the Geddy I had to have one. A few months later I purchased my first 5 string. Now after getting used to reaching for that B string the Geddy neck feels a little cramped.

Fender advertises that the Geddy has American Vintage Pickups in it. Somebody may be able to clarify this, but if it does, they are the Japanese version. In my opinion they are just OK. I replaced mine with the American Custom Shop versions.

Before and after the pickup change out the basses had two completely different sounds. My guess is that this is caused by different lumber. Play them both through the same amp. See which one sounds like you want to sound.

Either way, as long as you are not over paying, you really can't go wrong.

Good Luck