1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Geddy lee jazz output volume

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fatboy Leeds, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Fatboy Leeds

Fatboy Leeds

Dec 31, 2012
    Hi all
    First post as a newby to this great forum!
    I have just purchased a fender jazz Geddy lee sig and although it is a fantastic bass I have to have my peavey tour 450 on nearly max volume to be heard.
    I previously played an ibanez RB 850 and the amp only needed to be on halfway to shake the drummers teeth!
    Have any of you guys had this or any suggestions on what the problem could be?
    Thanks in advance
    Fatboy leeds

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Are the pickups set up properly? ie: not too low? You might just need a good set up, and if your Ibanez had an active eq section, could be it hadf hotter output. Does the Peavey have a gain control? This is where you set the input amount, maybe raise it up some?

3. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    The Peavey Tour 450 has two inputs labeled "High Gain," and "Low Gain." Other amps label those switches "Passive," and "Active," but what they really are is just -0 db or -12 to -20 db, depending on the manufacturer's preference. I will assume that "High Gain" is what you plug your active pickup bass into, and "Low Gain" is what you plug your passive Geddy into.

4. Fatboy Leeds

Fatboy Leeds

Dec 31, 2012
    Thanks for the reply.
    Looks like the pups were a little low,I have adjusted them closer to the strings.
    Would this make such a massive difference? Played the same Ibanez for 30 years so this is the first time I have experienced such a volume drop from a bass.
    Looking forward to checking it out at the next rehearsal!

5. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    That can make a huge difference. Proper pickup height also changes the tone of the instrument as well. You might also get more volume from using one or the other but not both pickups. Jazz Basses can tend to sound rather thin when both pickups are on (caveat: sometimes but not all times).

6. Fatboy Leeds

Fatboy Leeds

Dec 31, 2012
    Hi mellowinman
    I have always played through the high gain with the Ibanez.
    I tried the Geddy in both and it didn't make any difference.
    The amp is also new to me-for clarity are you suggesting I should play the geddy through the low gain input?

7. Fatboy Leeds

Fatboy Leeds

Dec 31, 2012
    The neck pick up was some way off the strings.
    I have followed the fender guidelines and set within their tolerances.
    22:00 hrs here in the uk so a littl late to be winding it up!

8. There should be a noticeable difference! The high gain is made for passive basses like the Geddy and the low gain for active basses.

If you are already playing through the high gain then try adjusting the pre-gain knob.

9. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    Funny, this is not the first complaint about the output of the GL Jazz Bass i've heard. Wonder if Fender is screwing things up...

10. Fatboy Leeds

Fatboy Leeds

Dec 31, 2012
    Hi gj
    Thats what I thought!
    A few things to try next week thanks to you guy's,the bass sounds awesome otherwise,just wish I could play it like the great man himself!

11. Fatboy Leeds

Fatboy Leeds

Dec 31, 2012
    Hi frednbass
    Let's hope not,been looking for the geddy for while,would be shame if they had got it wrong on this model given how long the jazz has been around.

12. boristhespider9

boristhespider9

Sep 9, 2008
    You're talking about two completely different types of pickups. The Ibanez are going to have high output since it's an active system. The GL uses vintage passive single coil pickups which definitely have less output than you're used to. Turn up the volume and the gain on your amp as much as needed. Also, replace the stock strings on the GL with some DR Hi-Beams or Lo-Riders for better volume and clarity. But you're comparing apples and oranges.

13. I have an all original Fender Jazz from 1977 and it has a much lower output than my other Jazz Basses. But I love the sound. Maybe Fender is just doing the right thing?

Dirk

14. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Having the pickups raised to a proper height, along with good strings, and proper use of the gain knob on your amp, should have you up and running. Active basses are not always hotter than passive ones, it all depends, but sounds like you should be on your way now.

15. Fatboy Leeds

Fatboy Leeds

Dec 31, 2012

Hey Boris
    You are probably 100% correct,after playing the Ibanez for all this time

16. Fatboy Leeds

Fatboy Leeds

Dec 31, 2012
    Dirk
    Fair point you make.
    I love the tone out of the geddy and if turning the amp up is the only solution then I will have to live with it.
    Thanks for replying

17. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

I have many basses, and the output of all of them varies quite a bit. I do adjust the pickups of all pretty close to the strings, and all do have preamps. My Steinberger Spirit 5 with replacement soapbar pickups, is my lowest output, and my junker parts Stingray type is the highest. My Line 6 Variax 5 is not very high output. I just adjust the input gain to compensate and don't consider varying outputs to be a problem.

18. Mike_R30

Mike_R30

Mar 26, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    As a GL jazz owner myself, I totally get where you are coming from with this post. I found the stock fender vintage pups to have great tone but a very compressed sound with fairly low output. I agree with all of the posts about pickup height and would recommend going that route first since raising them with a screwdriver is free and easy. I play mostly hard rock and ultimately for me, the best solution was replacing the stock pickups with something "hotter". I went with the Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders and they sound massive. I've also played a friend's GL with Dimarzio Model J's and they sounded great too. Lots of j bass pickup threads on TB to check out if you go that route. Good luck!

19. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    First, this way you go with humcancelling pickups
    Second, yeah stock Geddy Lee is very weak...

I ended up sellin' it because of this.

I play thrash metal and bought it just because Testament's Greg Christian plays it
    Yet, playin' thru a complex pedalboard of mine if I have to get over 10/11 o'clock on my head volume/gain, that particular bass goes... So it happened like that to the Geddy Lee MIJ Jazz!

Cheers,
    Wallace

20. john_g

john_g Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I had a Geddy for a few years and did love it but yes, the output volume was on the low side. If you ever get to the point of possibly addressing it, you could install a preamp into it like an Audere to help.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021