Geddy Lee Jazz Pots and S1 mod

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Derekbass, May 4, 2012.

1. Derekbass

Derekbass

Jan 30, 2012
    Anyone know what brand of pots Fender is putting in their 2011 Geddy Lee Jazz basses?

Any recommendations (things you would do or have done) for the S1 mod I should know before dropping it off to have it modified?

2. My recommendation for the S1 mod: do it yourself, it's easy. Grab yourself a 250k push/pull pot from Fender or WD Music, get your soldering iron, and clear your schedule for an hour. I'm an electronics hack, but I found this project to be very "paint by number" using all the great guides I found online. If you do a search, there are a couple threads that walk you through step by step. I had DiMarzio p'ups in my Geddy, so I used their wiring diagrams to guide me. Piece of cake. Just decide if you want the p/p pot in your neck volume circuit or your tone circuit. I chose tone, but Fender last used neck vol for the s1 jazzes. NDB.

AFAIK, all CIJ/MIJ basses use no-name, non CTS pots. I replaced my jack and cap, but never found a reason to replace the pots. YMMV.

If you do decide to replace the pots and go 500k, PM me. I have a spare 500k p/p I'll sell you on the cheap.

Good luck!

3. Midak

Midak

Sep 4, 2011
    Athens, Greece
    I think my Geddy ('07 model) has CTS 250k pots. I am going to replace the pickups in a while, so I will be back for news about the pots. ;)

4. Derekbass

Derekbass

Jan 30, 2012
    Thanks guys. Ill let you know as well. When I open her up.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021