Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

geddy lee jazz question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thetaurus, May 6, 2004.

1. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    so i think i decided that this summer i'm going to buy another jazz bass, but modify it to have a precision pickup at the neck position. and then get a pickguard from warmoth. anyway...i was thinking more about it, and i'm thinking i'm going to get a geddy lee jazz.

can anyone think of any major problems i may run into with doing this?

also...i know the necks are thinner on these than on the regular mia fenders...so if i later decided that i'd want a regular jazz neck...would a warmoth replacement be a direct fit?

2. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    any particular reason why you wouldnt just buy an aerodyne?

3. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    The thin neck and higher-end (for Fender) pickups are a good amount of the appeal of the Geddy (I'm imagine the BadAss bridge, binding-and-block neck, and MIJ built quality are the rest) - if you're eliminating those, why limited yourself to a GL? I'm sure there are pleanty of Jazz-style P/J basses at that price point which won't involve the mods you're considering.

As for a neck swapout, I'd imagine their 20-fret neck would fit - the "thinness" of the GL neck in front-to-back and not width at the nut. However, it's a special order neck, so consider the increase in price. It's also unavailable with binding and blocks - that neck has the 21-fret overhang, and I have no idea if it would fit and the process involved.

The biggest question, which I don't have the answer for, is if the GL has a 3 or 4 bolt neck. Warmoth does not offer a 3-both retrofit neck.

Here's Warmoth's info as to the "will it fit?" question.

4. Fret Boiler

Fret Boiler Pity World

Apr 12, 2004
    Purdue University
    It a 4-bolt

Regards

5. I myself have been comparing the GL sig and Active Jazz for a while now. I've already decided on getting a Jazz bass, but can't decide between these two at all - they both have competitive features that i'm interested in. I've had the chance to play an Active Jazz and like its sound - haven't played the GL but I love maple necks.

What's it boil down to? U.S. active humbuck pups, or the badass II bridge/maple neck?

Thanks for any insight!

6. Get the Geddy, and add a J-Retro if the mood strikes you later! Killer combination.

--jeff