Geddy Lee Jazz Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by themathrock, Jun 5, 2004.

1. i've had my geddy lee for awhile, and i can't help but notice that the inlays look painted on and not block inlays. has anyone ever thought this or know anything about this? thanks.
  2. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    'Tis a much discussed topic. Some say their painted, some say it's inlay.. The world may never now.
  3. well i could swear that i see little bits of it following some of the grain on the maple neck. like on the edge of the inlay. i vote for painted on. but man, you can't beat the neck either way.
  4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I think they're inlays.

" on the edge of the inlay...."
    I think what you're seeing is filler. If they make the hole to big or the inlay too small, they gotta fil the gap with something.
  5. ster

Oct 18, 2003
    New Jersey
    They're painted on. I had a Geddy, it took a spill and got scratched up and guess what I discovered! But it really doesn't matter does it?
  6. LizzyD

LizzyD Chocoholic

Oct 15, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Sadowsky Artist
    If what Ster says isn't convincing enough, in Fender's official specs for the Geddy Lee Jazz, they list among it's "unique features": "Black Fingerboard Binding with Black Rectangular Shaped Position Markers"

If they were real inlays, they'd call them inlays, like they do for the Marcus Miller Jazz which have "White Pearl Block Position Inlays".

It doesn't matter to me either way, I think it looks cool. :cool:
  7. modflea

Apr 26, 2004
    Lafayette, LA
    I've got a Geddy Lee question while the topic's up here. I was at a pawn shop yesterday and they have one there in really good shape for $479. Is that a good price for a used one? I'm just curious.
  8. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    I still say its a alder neck,every ad i've seen printed in a mag or their catalog says alder neck,some say its a misprint but for the last 3 years ? if its a maple neck why did'nt fender fix the misprint? :confused:
    Why do they do this to us?
  9. LizzyD

LizzyD Chocoholic

Oct 15, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Sadowsky Artist
    I've never seen a magazine ad for the Geddy Lee Jazz. Here is the page on Fender's official site:

On that page it does say "Featuring an alder body and neck and maple fingerboard" but if you click on "specifications" you will see that under "Neck" it says "1-Piece Maple, Thin “C” Shape, (Gloss Polyurethane Finish)". The other thing is obviously a misprint that no one has ever bothered to fix. Who knows why. Perhaps you could email them to ask, like someone in the other thread about the "inlays" did.

The Geddy Lees (and most Fenders as far as I know) have maple necks. Mine clearly has a one piece maple neck.
  10. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    And yet, at the same time, you appear to be wrong. It's not an alder neck -- check the site. Hell, check the damn NECK. Compare it to any other maple neck in the store, there's a distinctly different grain from alder to maple, and alder's far more orange in colour.

From the Fender site:
    "NECK 1-Piece Maple, Thin “C” Shape,
    (Gloss Polyurethane Finish)"

Go to Fender, Products, Electric Basses, Artist Series, Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, and finally, [View] under Specs. Maple. Neck. Alder. BODY. This arguement has been done time and time again, and I really don't see the need.

That post was to demolition.
  11. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    Never a dule moment,always on the verge of meltdown here.
    This is why I dont spend alot of time here,god forbid if someone thinks your wrong.
    My opinion is the G,Lee is a piece of--------!the neck is way thin because of the specs on G.Lee cal for a shaved neck(which is s recipe for disaster on a new bass whuch has'nt had time to dry).
    I owned 2 of them and they both had bad necks,and all the others I've seen had decent necks at best,which stinks because I love the look of that neck, its awesome! even with the block inlays being decals.
    To be honest my comment on the "alder neck" was a joke,I wanted to see if the same few individules would have a hissy fit,I personally dont care if they had a neck made of ivory.
    Its one thing to shave down a neck of an older bass thats had the time to age ,but to make a neck thats already that thin from "new"wood is asking for a headache.
    I've built enuff basses and done enuff set-ups to know what's up with wood and how it re-acts when certain things are down to it,and to me a thin neck thats cut down even thinner does'nt do it for me. :bassist:
  12. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    i love the thin alder neck the GL has.

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The thin alder neck on my GL is as solid as a rock.
  14. the pickups are bright also, which is lame, but i will soon be getting a boss eq20. MWAHAHAHA!
  15. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Stop the hating. My GL has a great neck - straight, thin, and comfortable - with great fretwork. I would think it is a misprint - my neck sure seems to be maple. And the electronics are very good, IMO.

Oh well, to each his own...
  16. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    I must get this across,I am a Fender only player,I will not own a bass that is'nt a fender product,but on the other hand many of their "NEWER" line of basses are'nt at the level of quality that they should be,which bothers the heck out of me. :mad:
    This is'nt what i've read in a mag,or what a friend of a friend told me,or what I heard on T.V.its from personal experience from my own basses,the hundreds of basses I set up at my job,the countless set-ups I do for customers ETC.
    I'm not pulling this stuff from thin air,I've seen it with my eyes,I'm not convinced that a neck that thin made of relatively newer wood is'nt gonna hold up over time,lets face it the G.Lee is a 600.00$ bass(100.00$ is for the name alone)so the chances of us getting quality aged wood is not good.
    My luthier that i'm apprenticing with told me all this when I tried to debate the G.Lee bass(did i mention he is a liscensed FENDER tech ?)he is'nt a backyard carpenter hack.
    So this is'nt an attack on the bass,I wish I could have kept mine but something better came along,if you have a good one hold on to it. PEACE. :bassist:
  17. mykeindk

Nov 18, 2002
    yo dude i bought my geddy lee in san diego at a place called guitar trader they got a website it wasnt that expensive dude like around 320 or so there so check it out.
  18. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Ya know, I have played that bass and was VERY unhappy with it, I hated the Neck SOO Much, it hurt...

When it comes to the Neck, its really a Split decision... Some say its Superb, Some say its sub-par...

I guess my new quote will be "It takes all Kinds"

It takes all Kind's

19. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    The neck on my GL is looking to be real solid.

The fit and finish is better than most the American and MIM Fenders that I've seen in quite some time. Bang for the buck value is really high.

Ok now, who wants to dedicate their GL to the cause and take a razor to their neck? :eek: So we can actually put this to rest. :)