1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Geddy Lee Jazz replacement tuners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by seanreiter, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Hi folks, looking to replace the tuners on my Geddy Lee jazz bass. Just curious about who else has done this, what they upgraded to, and if they dropped right in or needed mods. Thanks in advance.

2. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Can I ask why you want to replace them? Are they not holding the bass in tune?

3. Yes, exactly. It isn't a terrible problem but it is just annoying enough for me to want to change them.

4. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Suspended

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    For crying out loud, it's a Fender isn't it?
    Just get a set of Schallers.

5. mikeldtl

mikeldtl

Oct 23, 2005
    Portland, OR
    I replaced the stock tuners on my Geddy with these:
    http://store.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=96
    I put on the black ones. They required a little reaming of the holes from the front as the bushings were a hair too large. Overall a much better tuning machine... this is my second set of Hipshot tuners and the set on my 4003 are buttery smooooth as well.

6. depalm

depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    São Paulo
  7. which version of the ultralights fits best? I don't want to have to do any mods to get them in there.

8. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19
    I also changed mine out for Hipshot HB2's. I didn't have to do anything though, they were a direct drop-in replacement.

I think they made a huge difference. The originals were a lower gear ratio and also slipped too much for my patience.

9. You are talking about these, right?

Hipshot American Classic Series
    Chrome Replacement Tuners - HB2

I had been eyeing them up on bestbassgear.com but it said direct replacement for most American Fenders and I hesitated. If you are saying that they dropped right in, then great.

Has anyone else used the HB2's?

10. mikeldtl

mikeldtl

Oct 23, 2005
    Portland, OR
    I'm the only person that I know of that had to do anything to drop these tuners in. I was under the impression that these were a direct drop in when ordered but slight modification to the bushing holes had to be made. Not sure if I have a unique GL bass (seems to be early) or if the tuner set i specifically received were odd. Either way my recommendation. My old set was janky and the d string tuning key came apart at the braising....

11. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19
    Likewise, when I ordered a replacement guard from a place that specifically said they had a drop-in replacement for the Geddy Lee it wasn't close. I ended up sending in mine for a copy. Point being, they may not all necessarily be clones.

But yes, those are the HB2's I was referring to and I think you'll be glad you changed!

12. depalm

depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    São Paulo
    I'm not sure but maybe the HB6C - 1/2'' will fit a Fender Bass.
    You should give Brian at bestbeassgear.com a call or drop him a line. He would certainly got the right answer.

5015876603_527038f03b_z.jpg

5016484174_9ed87ff8fb_z.jpg

Another option is the Gotoh "res o lite" tuners, I installed them on my J copy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There's not much difference in weight between both (very light) and they're very precise.

best

13. +1 on the HB2's - the original tuners were prone to minor slippage on mine, and as I was getting an extender anyway I matched the set. Dropping them in was fairly quick work.

Pickguard replacement was wonky for a while with the GL Jazzes - some of it had to do with the '70's style pickup spacing, I reckon.

14. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    AZ, USA
    I recently replaced the stock GL tuners with Hipshot HB2's. They fit perfectly and are well worth the money. They feel much better and are more accurate.

15. A lot of times, tuning problems are caused by the strings binding in the nut rather than a problem with the tuners. Try some graphite (or other lubricant) in the nut slots before you spend the cash on new tuners.

16. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass

I'm a big fan of the Schallers.

I would go with them.

17. RiZzBot

RiZzBot Drunk + bass + broken strap locks = :'(

Nov 23, 2014
    210, Texas
    I recently traded for a CIJ GL bass. I noticed right away that the D sting is having trouble holding its tuning. I'v heard and read about the Schaller and Hipshot replacements. I'm wondering if there is a Fender replacement. I'm not looking for the same type tuners that are on there now. can someone tell me if the tuning keys on the AVRI series basses will fit my CIJ GL bass? I love the tuners on my 63AVRI. Thanks again guys.

18. maxschrek

maxschrek Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN.
    Wilkinsons are decent, affordable tuners that work well and look just like the CBS era tuners Fender used in the early 70s. Probably a drop in replacement.

RiZzBot likes this.
  19. RiZzBot

RiZzBot Drunk + bass + broken strap locks = :'(

Nov 23, 2014
    210, Texas
    Thanks buddy. But I was trying to stay with fender parts. I'm kind of a Fender fanboy. :oops:

20. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    I don't know how many basses I've had, probably north of a hundred over the years, but my two CIJ Geddys are the first basses I've ever owned that didn't stay in tune. I'm definitely looking to get hipshots.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 9, 2021