Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Geddy Lee Jazz - Replacing Tuners

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Whisper, Sep 26, 2005.

1. Whisper

Whisper Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2001
    New York, New York
    Can anyone tell me if the Hipshot American Classic Series Replacement Tuners (HB2) are a direct fit for the tuners on a Geddy Lee Jazz?

They look like this:

[​IMG]

They look like an exact fit but I'd like to hear if anyone has actually tried this.

Thanks,
    Whisper

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    They look like they'd fit right in, as most aftermarket manufacturers tend to build their products to Fender specs.

I'm going to move this to Setup and Repair where the guys love to shoot the breeze about stuff like this, but I'm wondering what's wrong with the Stock Fender GL tuners?

3. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    They will fit perfectly... I have a set on mine.

4. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    And how much are they? I need to replace the tuners on my Jazz.

Never mind. I found some.

5. +1...those are the same ones I put on my Geddy. Careful taking out the old screws, they're cheap and one of mine broke during removal. I had to drill it out but all's well that end's well. I lso left the stock bushings on, I didn't have a way to press the oldies out, but they look almost exactly the same. Nice tuning machines....they look and feel excellent.

6. They feel like crapola (almost grind when turning) and they tend to slip a bit. So you know.....

7. Whisper

Whisper Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2001
    New York, New York
    Thanks for the replies... the stock tuners aren't the greatest, and I'm putting a Hipshot Detuner key on the bass anyways, so I figured I might as well replace them all. :bassist:

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I did that with my Marcus Miller, with a CIJ '57 Precision neck and put those tuners on with a Hipshot and it's a lot smoother, more stable and frankly, I like knowing I've got Hipshots on my bass.

9. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Hipshot products are tremendous. Great tuners, bridges, and d-tuners

Rob