Geddy Lee Jazz Spacing....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Aram, Jul 6, 2004.

1. Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    I tried my first Geddy Lee sig this weekend and couldn't put it down. One question -- is the string spacing wider on all Geddys than regular Jazzes? Sure seemed like it on this one, but maybe it was an anomaly?

My searches on this were fruitless despite the myriad GL threads -- please help.

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I just went to and it says that the nut is the standard 1.5 Jazz width.

The one I played was the same size as a MIA Jazz neck.
  3. Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Weird -- I will have to go back with a tape measure. When I compared it to an MIM jazz it definitely looked and felt wider. Maybe I'm nuts, I'll have to see it again.
  4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    definitely feels normal to me, haven't measured it though
  5. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    In the recent issue of Bass Guitar Mag, there's an interview w/ Geddy. Apparently, its a pretty much stock J-bass. Thing is, when he first found it, it had a distinctive tone, so he grabbed it up. He's since done quite a few a/b's between it & other J's, & he's not sure why, but does have a distinctively different tone that other J's.

Something else that was said in the article, was that Geddy really only used the Ricky alot in the early years. Once he got his J, he uses it almost exclusively now. BUT, he still plays the Rick on signature songs, where the Rick tone is required. To his admission, he only got his 4001 because other bassists he looked up to at the time, used 'em....
  6. Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Thanks guys -- I always thought it was a stock J with some minor mods, but I swear this one felt different from any J I had tried before. I'm going to try to check it out again during my lunch break to nip this in the bud...
  7. dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    Isn't the neck profile a bit thinner than a standard (new) Jazz? (Like a 70's jazz bass)

Maybe that's what you felt....
  8. Fret Boiler

Fret Boiler Pity World

Apr 12, 2004
    Purdue University
    He also suspects there is a wiring problem in his Jazz, but he won't let his tech open it up to check. If true, that would be quite difficult to reproduce on the signature model. :)

9. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    It's funny in a way that the bass for Geddy is a lucky $200 pawn shop prize. Who knows how much he's spent on various Rickenbackers, Steinbergers, Wals, etc., over the years looking for the right sounds, and he's always gone back to that Jazz that it seems he was fated to have.
  10. Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Ok, I checked it out again, but Guitar Center didn't have a tape measure :rolleyes:

It definitely 'felt' wider...more like a P-bass...but I couldn't confirm it without a measure. Whatever it is, it feels great -- the gloss on the neck is killer, and this one is set up pretty well. It's in the GC on 14th st in Manhattan if anyone wants to grab it...I would, but I have too many basses as it is (and precious little apartment space...)