Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Geddy Lee Jazz vs. 75 reissue jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ster, Aug 30, 2004.

1. ster

ster

Oct 18, 2003
    New Jersey
    I have been thinking about getting a 75 reissue Fender jazz(American or Japanese). I owned a Geddy Lee before and I didn't think it was that great. It was decent but not nearly in the same category as my Spector Euro4(IMHO). I was wondering if anyone has played both and can give some insight on their differences before I go out and hunt one down.
    Thanks!

2. They are nearly identical basses. Except the neck profile, and the colour options.

Geddy's sig is a 74' reissue, and the 75' is well, the same.

So they are basically they same, except the Geddy's neck is a lot slimmer, and the cosmetic differences.

Oh yeah, the 75' has the trus rod at the nut, not at the neck heel, which is a better idea, but I was lucky to get my Geddy with the ideal action for me.

3. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    I should have my American in by next week. All stock. I'll post pics and report on the playabilty, neck feel, sound, etc. :bassist: There is absolutely no comparison in body resonance & construction between the Japanese Geddy and the 75 American Re-issue.

4. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i've owned both.

75ri hands down.

hefty price diff to match.

f

5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    A big difference, clearly. You're looking at:

Different electronics -- 75 reissue pickups (RI) vs USA "Vintage" pickups (Geddy)
    Huge price gap
    Different hardware -- Regular bridge (RI) vs. Badass II (Geddy)
    Different construction USA (RI) vs. Japan (Geddy)

Also, keep in mind that the Geddy's truss rod can only be adjusted after either A. Taking off the neck (Big no-no) or B. Routing a channel in the body

If I had the cash, I'd get the Reissue. You get a great vintage-ish bass with a hard case, quality patch, ash tray covers, and a strap, versus...a bass. Realistically, I would (and am going to) buy the Geddy long before a reissue because it'd have to be one stellar instrument for me to pay that much for a Fender that isn't real vintage.

6. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I'd get the reissue unless you can't afford it. Those 75 reissues are awesome.

7. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    Yeah I would have never paid the $19-whatever price tag for a new one. I'm sending off the money order tommorrow, I scored a helluva deal.... although I'm not getting any keys for the case, case goodies, or the ashtray/pup cover :meh:. But that stuffs a dime a dozen, what matters is the schtick itself. Man guys I really cant wait, mostly to hear how growly the one piece ash body can get. I'm sure the stock pups are cool, though I want to put either Fralins or Antiquity II's real soon. I sold off almost every piece of gear I had to get this an have enough left over for a basstrainer, which is what I really want & NEED instead of a rig, so I should be cool for a while. Now I just need to make sure guitarget & the local shops don't hunt me down :eyebrow:

What's that? Is someone asking for a pic?

8. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    Big difference for me, you cant get the reissues in black anymore. Ever since i saw the bassist for alkaline trio play a black on with a red tortise pickguard on letterman ive been drooling for a black one.

9. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    No comparison between the Geddy and the MIA 75RI bass, I own the 75RI and it's an awesome bass that needs nothing! I do like the Geddy bass very much but I like the 75RI twice as much. That's why I payed $1400 bucks instead of $700 bucks for the Geddy.

10. ster

ster

Oct 18, 2003
    New Jersey
    Great! I was hoping the 75 was alot better since the Geddy didn't really stack up agaist my other basses in playability or sound. I know they aren't cheap, but I think I may be willing to sell off my 5 string to help finance one. They look freakin' awesome, I just can't wait to try one out.

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Is the MIJ 75 RI no longer available?

12. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    Brad,

as far as i know. no, it is not.

the Japanese 75RI is a highly sought after used piece.

f

13. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md

Really? This just gets more and more weird. Look what I recently got for $400:D

[​IMG]

I don't mod basses but this one came with 18V Bart preamp and pickups and a BadAss I bridge. Excellent install, everything is easily reversible except for the battery boxes (preamp is under the pickguard). I bought it because it plays and sounds great.

:bassist: :hyper:

BTW how much do the MIJs typically go for? I see them fairly often and hadn't really paid attention to them.

14. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    That was my thought also. I tried a Japanese 75 in 1997 and I really liked it. I bought a NOS Palaedium instead though... :)

15. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    Brad,

that's about the right price for the JPN 75ri.

congrats.

fred

16. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    great site ref! thanks.

a new Jpn 75RI for around $660.

fair enough!

i may be grabbing one of those!

f

17. My pleasure.

It's quite reasonable, innit?

So would I, if I knew I'd like the neck and if it came with a rosewood board. Also, a few more colour options wouldn't hurt. No harm in dreaming, right?

18. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md

How many colors were available in 1975?

19. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I would've thought it would be in that range without the mods.