Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Geddy Lee Jazz vs. Carvin LB70

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassplayer_edge, May 28, 2001.

1. bassplayer_edge

bassplayer_edge

May 28, 2001
    I'm looking to sell my Ibanez SDGR390DX and buy a new bass. I'm not looking to pay any more than $800, so I narrowed it down to two basses. I've played and loved the Carvin, but I've heard nothing but good things about the Fender Geddy Lee Jazz bass. I also like the appearence of the Fender better (maple fretboard w/ black block inlays, pickguard). I'm looking for a versatile bass that I can slap and pop to my heart's desire. Anybody played both that can give me a good comparison?

2. i have no clue about Carvin stuff, so i wont talk about them© I've read constantly that the Geddy lee has a lacking in low end, thus people add on the J-retro, and then it becomes a FABULUS bass© Also it has a thinner neck then most jazz basses, but you played an Ibanez, so it might feel fine for you, since you'd be used to a smaller neck© I've also read that because of the thinner neck, you can have unbelievablely low action, which is nice for speed, but not for poping and slapping©

this is all i've heard in a nut shell© I've actuly never played either of the basses, but have heard nothing but good things about both©

3. As an owner of 2 Carvin basses (1995 LB20F, 2000 LB75) I would say go with the Carvin. The LB70 is a good four string bass, just one upgrade above my LB20, because it has the passive/active pu's and the onboard EQ. If you're looking for a deep low bottom end sound, stay away from the optional humbucker. I feel it makes the bass too trebly. (If there is such a word as trebly!).

You will not be disappointed with a Carvin, especially since you tried one out.

4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Carvin. More choices in body woods, colors, tops, etc.

Personally, I perfer the ebony fretboard to maple 100 times over. The ebony just has MUCH better bass tone to it.

If you want, you could get the Carvin with a maple fretboard and black block inlays and back painted body, and it would be close. However, I'd go for the ebony board.

Can't really go wrong either way, though Muttluk's comment about the J-Retro making the GL even more fabulous is right, they're great preamps.

5. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I have an LB75 and 2 GL jazzes.

One Geddy is standard, the other has a J-Retro. The J-Retro Geddy is my main bass. The default one is cool too, but I play the modded one so that the other remains pristine for now. ;)

The Carvin plays nice, but I am not into the modern sound I get from the electronics. I am currently looking into replacing the pickups and I will likely replace the preamp too if I can find a good fit.

I agree with what was said above about avoiding the Carvin humbucker. It sounds weak and tinny. I purposely ordered mine with 2 J's as I planned all along to replace them with aftermarket pickups.