Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Geddy Lee Jazz vs. Highway 1 Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cantstandsya, Jul 31, 2004.

1. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    They both cost about the same,so which one do you guys think is the better bass?

2. The Geddy is regarded very highly around here. Very good bass for the price.

3. bogart

bogart

Dec 11, 2003
    big bear, ca
    Highway 1's are junk. Go with the geddy. Also try out the Aerodyne jazz. Very nice bass in the same range

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Geddy Lee. No question. I'd even go so far as to take a Geddy with aftermarket pickups over an MIA.

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I haven't played a HighWay series Jazz bass but, IMO, the Geddy is the best bass that Fender makes.

6. Pause

Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    I've never played a Highway either. My Geddy is the best Fender I've ever played.

That truss rod access thing kinda pisses me off though, gotta fix that

7. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Talk to Nino about that. IIRC, he routed a channel in the body for much easier truss access.

8. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Lets look at this this way... When you own a jazz, were all likely to tinker w/ the electronics... On the Geddy, you get that SCHWEET ass block inlay neck,,, which feels AWESOME to me...

9. Pause

Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    I have mentioned it to him. I, unfortunately, don't have any routing experience, a router, or know anyone with a router that could do it nearby.

Also, what does IIRC mean?

10. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I'll be honest. I've never played a G Lee. I do, unlike all who have posted on this question, really like the HWY 1 Jazz. It depends on the sound you want. I'm going to like a rosewood neck on a Jazz and that's what a HWY 1 has. To me, the HWY 1 has a 60's vintage sound to it and that's what I like.

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If I Remember Correctly, or If I Recall Correctly.

12. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Wow,it seems as if most everyone likes the Geddy.I've actually only played the Highway 1.The cheap paint job (which was brand new and already had tons of dings in it)and the cheap bridge were things I didn't like about it but it did sound decent.I just thought the fact that it was a U.S. model might give it an edge over the Geddy.I have owned a MIM Jazz(which I upgraded with Active SD Basslines), MIA Deluxe Jazz, MIM Deluxe Jazz and a MIA 5-String Jazz and honestly I thought the MIM Deluxe was the best sounding out of the bunch so I guess I should know "MIA" doesn't always equal better.I guess the next step is to actually find a Geddy that I can try out first.It's going to be a backup for my Stingray-5 but I wanted something completely different so I figured a four string passive bass would be cool.I'm just hoping I don't find it too dull sound as i've grown used to the sound of active basses.Thanks for all the help guys :)

13. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Here is my Geddy:
    [​IMG]

Here is Corwin81's bass that I did some work on & this was one of the things I did:
    [​IMG]

14. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts

A Fender bass you may want to look at is the MIM "60's Classic". Has the gloss finish body that the Hwy 1 doesn't at same price. Also Vintage style tuners,very nice 3 color burst body-tort shell gaurd, gloss finish neck with the slight yellowed/aged look to it. I believe the catalog says it has same pickups as Geddy. I played one and was very impressed. Maybe it was just one of those rear ones to come off the line but it had a tone that nothing else on the rack had that day plus outstanding looks!

15. ch3ck3rs

ch3ck3rs

Feb 8, 2004
    hope you like pencil-thin necks...

16. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Just for the heck of it, if you'll go to the gear review page you'll find that the HWY 1 Jazz gets higher ratings than the G Lee. As I said earlier I like the way they sound and, oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I love the neck profile.

17. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX
    i{ll make your life easier by simplifying your choice. What would you rather own, for the same price:

a) a geddy lee (fake inlays, just painted on)
    b)a mim standard jazz bass with a crap-satin finish

id take the mij over the mim any day. (with mim i mean highway 1)

18. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    Conn.
    First off I cant say I like a neck that thin seeing how its cut down to mimick Geddy's personal bass,my G.L.was great sounding but the neck was very unstable,it had the "look" but it was'nt a solid bass.
    I had the bass looked at by a famous local luthier(i can provide credentials to his status in private)and the wood used for the bass's neck was poor at best,I returned the first one and brought in a second one to re-evaluate it.
    So after going through all the G.Lee basses at that store I opted for the H.W.1 bass,I was patient and dillegent in searching for the right one,I worked at the guitar store so I had the option of waiting for the best one,and it took me a few weeks to find one but I came across a great H.W.1.
    It has great red highlights in the frett-board that match the crimson body,but the paint-job is very delicate and its becoming "reliced" very fast,i added Schaller tuners and a B.Ass bridge,and I was going to crown and polish the fretts myself but opted to hold off due to a good job done already,and it nails the vintage tone to a T !
    It is one of the best sounding Jazz basses I have played and it feels pretty damn near perfect,But unfortunately its not a commen thing with the H.W.1 basses to perform this well,working at a store allowed me to try out close to 30 or so different ones(P-Basses AND Jazz basses alike)and in a nut-shell they are debateable at best.
    Why dont you take that money and buy direct from Fender Japan,you will save about 100.00 from either of those 2 models and get a bass far exceeding both of them,you can pick and choose the re-issue year,color and frettboard of you dreams,dont settle for 2 differnt so-so basses when you can get the EXACT one you want,they are far better than both models in question in every aspect under the sun.
    If you want mail me and I'll give more info on what they re all about(no I dont work there either,I know this mite sound like a pitch for the company).
    good luck either way. :bassist:

19. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    The HWY 1 is not an mim. The c*** satin finish he refers to is why the HWY 1's sound decent. The heavy polyurethane finishes don't help the tone of the other Fenders (US and mim) and frankly I'm more into the way they sound instead their appearance.

I agree with the chap who says you might want to take your time and find one that suits you, but that's true with any basses.

20. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yeah, but look closely at the reviews. Only one of them is an in depth review, the one that I made of my Geddy Lee. I gave mine a 7, based on years of experience with hundreds of basses. If I had to rate mine vs. a HWY 1, most of the HWY 1's that I have played would get a 5.5 to my Geddy's 7. Too many people post glowing reviews and give an above average bass a 9 or a 10. A 9 is a special mark, reserved for the top 10 percent of basses in their price range. A 10 is even more special, and almost impossible to honestly achieve, if a reviewer is fair, impartial, and brutally honest.