Geddy Lee jazz vs. Musicman SUB active

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Burgie, Jul 16, 2004.

1. Burgie

Jul 15, 2003
    Dallas, TX
  2. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

3. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    that abss rips, tap, slap, and finger funk it, its a great bass.
  4. Joe Boom

Joe Boom

Jun 25, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I would put MIJ fenders up against most sub $800(new) basses. The Geddy is an especially good example in my opinion.
  5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    It depends what you're looking for.

I've never really like the sound of a Mucis Man bass. I've owned about 10 different one (Ray's Ray 5's & Sterlings) & no matter how much I tried to get into them, they did nothing for me.

The SUB, IIRC, has no body countours which I found to be uncomfortable like the 76 Ray I owned. It had the Ray sound down & it that what you're looking for, this might be a good bass.

Geddy Lee"
    This is the only Fender I own. IMO thebest Fender bass available. The neck plays itself!!!!!
  6. Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
  7. I'd go with the Geddy Lee, it should be pretty easy to play both of them side by side since most guitar centers carry them.

I've tried a few subs but never really liked them much, not bad but they just didn't do much for me.

something else to check out is the spector legend series basses, those are pretty sweet.
  8. I too agree that the neck is perfect.

But I am still not used to the slightly wider spacing than my TBC (which is in theory a MM[stingray] clone. But still better than any MM I have played).

But in a month or so, I probably won't be able to go back.

Great bass. Mine came with my prefered action too, and in tune!
  9. Ok.... so, if you dislike them so much, how come you've owned 10 of them?!
  10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I would assume since you're been here since Nov 2002 you'd know I'm a compulsive buyer.
  11. Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    I'm an impulsive buyer at times :p
  12. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Geddy... No competition.
  13. Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Note that the GL frequently has fatal neck warp/twist problems due to the extreme thinness of the head end.

It's a "known issue" with this instrument, though it sometimes takes a few years to show up. Some are already warped in the store. Some apparently escape the problem altogether. Some owners have the problem but are not yet aware of it.:meh:

There have been numerous threads about this here, on a.g.b and on the FDP. I have read a few dozen complaints aboout this since the bass was introduced.

It's why I didn't buy a Geddy Lee myself. Otherwise, they are very nice basses.
  14. elgranluis

elgranluis Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX

very true, thats why you hardly ever see 72-73 jazz basses on ebay. havent seen one in 2 months.....
  15. Joe Boom

Joe Boom

Jun 25, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    The candle that burns twice as bright lasts only half as long.
  16. lo lio

lo lio

Apr 10, 2003
    FRANCE 78930
    Yep, i 've got a GL for abour 1 year now. I do not see any problem about the neck and now i gonna take a look everyday. A little bit afraid :meh:

And why there's no 72-73 jazz basses on ebay ?
  17. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Never sure about these questions.

Haven't played any Geddy Lees, but I'd take a SUB before most Fenders I've played in the past.
  18. I wouldn't be too concerened. The neck may be thin, but it's not like....Ibanez thin.

And the Geddy is a Reissue of his 74 J bass.

All the Geddy basses need is simple care and maintanence that any bass requires.