1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Geddy Lee Jazz with Dark Stars pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by stefean, Aug 13, 2007.

1. stefean

stefean

May 18, 2007
    I thought about getting to dark star pickups for my Geddy Lee Jazz Bass. Who here has either heard or owns a Fender Jazz or any other bass with Dark Stars? Good Idea?
    I want to increase the growl and power of the low end some, and even though my Geddy is fine already on the mids, I imagine improvement can't hurt. Plus it's highs, though very clear, are a bit weak.

2. bryanonbass

bryanonbass

May 13, 2001
    Northern NJ
    there was one for sale here not too long ago and IIRC it was sold to a few different people.
    I considered buying it, cause I love my darkstar p-bass. Unfortunately I have never heard a dual dark star setup, but it sure looked pretty.

3. K-Punk

K-Punk Supporting Member

Feb 27, 2007
    PDX
  4. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    That was my baby that I sold. I miss her already... :crying:

Great bass! It sounded <b>huge</b>. If you decide to go with the Darkstars, I can assure you that there will nothing weak about the tone. The Darkstars made it a heavy bass, though. Something like 11 pounds, believe it or not.

5. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have a 70s Ibanez Lawsuit Jazz bass with Darkstars (just got it back from the luthier last week!). The sound is way different from a Jazz bass to my ears- which is good, because I've not a Jazz bass fan. The first thing you'll notice is that through a flat EQ, the pickups are miles fatter than any Jazz pickups you've ever heard...this is the first bass where I may actually solo the bridge pickup- which is fatter sounding than the neck pickup on most basses I've owned! One beauty of the modification is that you can get the bass routed so that you can flip the pickups around, centering the polepieces in a completely different place- my bridge pickup can be either in an approximate 70s Jazz bass position or an approximate 60s Jazz position (give or take a little on each). I have mine in the 60s position right now (maybe more of a Stingray position- farther from the bridge), and it is massive sounding but still very articulate.

To answer your questions somewhat- you will have way more bass than with your current pickups, but because of this your treble may seem less. There is plenty for my uses, and they are by no means muddy- the treble that is there will sound much sweeter!

Though it is unnecessary, for curiosity's sake I plan to try a J-Retro in mine- I just have it sitting unused, so why not? The main reason I think I might like it is the active blend circuit- I've never gotten used to passive pickup blending (especially hard with 500K pots!), usually just choosing 1 or the other pickup. This bass just screams for a good blending of pickups.

I definitely wouldn't do the modification without hearing or playing a bass with Darkstars first- the pickups are damn expensive + the cost of routing, etc...If you do decide to go for it, I will highly recommend Rod of Skuttlefunk basses- great work for painfully little money (you'll get all the work done + pickups for the price just the pickups would cost you if you bought them directly!).

Karl

6. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    There is a demo of the Lakland Decade on lakland.com (Multimedia tab). Phrases are played with neck/bridge/combination. On those samples, I think I prefer the neck only version.

7. idealtracks

idealtracks

Dec 18, 2001
    Slowburnaz's old bass is mine now. One of you other bassists can have it though... when you pry it from my cold dead fingers!

I love the tone--exactly what I had been searching for. It doesn't sound exactly like the Lakland model, but that's as close as anything out there. I'll plan to put some sound clips up in a month or two.

If I had it to build from scratch, I would prefer the neck pickup to be a little closer to the neck than the usual jazz position (where this is)--I'd like more difference in the two sounds. They do sound awesome though!

The Audere pre in Low Z mode with these Darkstars through Acme cabs comes as close to the Brown Note as anything I've ever experienced.

I should add that I've only had it two weeks so I'm still in the honeymoon period!

8. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Hey Johnmark! So, you're the... 4th owner now, I guess?

One of the things I thought was cool about the Darkstar/Audere combo was that at all but the most extreme settings (i.e. no mids, no bass, treble maxed), none of the tones are unusable or unmusical.

I'd LOVE to hear that bass through some Acme cabs...

9. idealtracks

idealtracks

Dec 18, 2001
    Slowburnaz, I agree with your comments about the usability of all the settings... is that due to the Audere, the Darkstars, or both? Did you add them piecemeal or at the same time?

thanks

10. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Well, at first I added one Darkstar to the neck position. It had a DiMarzio Model J pickup in the bridge position. The bass was passive at that point.

The Audere came next. I had the second Darkstar put in shortly thereafter.

You know, I think the usability of all the tones really comes from the Darkstars. They just have that really powerful, even response. Not that the Audere has nothing to do with it. I think it adds just that much more flexibility.

11. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Lineā„¢ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    Hey Karl - that is one incredible neck on your Ibanez! I can't think of many basses I've played that felt that good :hyper: No wonder Fender was soo upset at Ibanez - they made a significantly better feeling neck than most everything Fender was putting out at the time.

I'm definitely curious to hear your thoughts on how the DS's work with the J-Retro when you get that mod done. It has potential to be very cool ... or just the opposite.

all the best,

R

12. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    That is the exact reason I invested the money into this particular bass- not exactly an expensive bass, but with playability as good or better than basses that have cost me 4 times as much...a good neck is the key to a great bass (in my opinion!)- but it also sounds amazing too!

Karl