Geddy Lee Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cygnus, Nov 26, 2003.

1. Cygnus

Apr 27, 2003
    Quincy Ma.
    My new GL Jazz arrived tonight and I spent the last couple of hours getting used to it. I don't have a lot of experience with Feder Jazz basses so I don't know if this is normal or not, but the volume from the front pickup is MUCH lower than the bridge pickup. Do I have a bad pickup or is this typical?

2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Usually the neck pickup has a smoother tone and the bridge pickup has a growlier tone that appears to be louder.
  3. can you possible get sound clips with both pickups full on, and the tone nob turned all the way to the treble side??

(I'm also going to get one sooner or later.);)
  5. I play around with the pickup height until I like the blend of both pups!

You can do the same by raising and lowering each pup, just watch out that you don't raise them too high, they will get in the way of your strings.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    It could very well be pickup height that is causing that. However, aside from causing problems with the strings if raised to high, it will also affect the sound in a negative way. Like Treena said, just play around with the height until you get the desired results!
  7. Cygnus

Apr 27, 2003
    Quincy Ma.
    Thanks for the replies, I appreciate the help. ;)

I'm not sure it's the height of the pickups though. If I solo the front pickup the output is very low. It's about 10% of what the bridge pickup puts out at full volume.
  8. Aaron J

Aaron J

Jul 16, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    Where did you get the bass from? Is there anyway that you could take it back to the source, or even let a good tech check it out.
  9. This is true of almost any passive-pup guitar or bass.
  10. I'd get it checked out. My new GL's PUs are both very hot. Although height might be a factor, I suspect there is something wrong with that PU or wiring.

Disclaimer---> I'm not much of a tech so I'm quick to bring bass is for a checkup.
  11. Cygnus

Apr 27, 2003
    Quincy Ma.
    I'm fairly certain there is something wrong. The neck pickup is very weak. If the bridge pickup is at half volume or greater the neck pickup is basically useless. If I turn it up all the way I can notice a slight difference in tone but no noticable volume gain at all.

I bought the bass online from Musician's Friend so I guess I'll have to take it to a Fender Dealer to get it looked at. It's a little disappointing considering it's brand new. I don't feel comfortable taking it apart myself. I assume this will be covered under warranty (it better be!).

Thanks everyone!
  12. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    my best opinion would be that the pick-up height is a bit low,it will definitaly affect the volume of the p-up if its to low.
    but on the other hand fender japan usually have a good quality control when it comes to the final set-up of the bass before it leaves the factory,so it can be a de-funct p-up for all we know.
    I would try raising the p-up a bit at a time to see if it makes a difference,if the pick-up is to high the sound will be very muddled,and the opposite can be said if its to low.
    I have been playing bass for a year and a half now and have learned much by asking questions and taking risks with learning to set-up my bass and doing minor repairs(and now major ones)on my own,when i first started playing i had a mexican jazz bass that was a disaster,and it was at the shop every 2 weeks,so i had to learn to do some things on my own(or it would have put me broke)its was a blessing that my tech would school me while he did them,and now i can do just about anything(except for a re-frett).
    So dont be afraid to tinker with some of the adjustments AFTER you get some advice,go easy and it will happen over time. GOOD LUCK
  13. Cygnus

Apr 27, 2003
    Quincy Ma.
    Well I decided to take the advice of some fellow members here and adjusted the neck pickup height. ;)

I loosened the screws holding the pickup in place but it wouldn't budge. I ended up having to take one screw completely out befre I could get the pickup to raise up. When I plugged the bass in to my headphone amp and hit an open A I almost blew out my ears because I had both pickup up full and now the neck pickup is working. The problem doesn't appear to be that the height was too low on the neck pickup. I think there is a short because if I fiddle with the height it cuts in and out.

I'm not sure if I should bring this in to the dealer and get it fixed under warranty or try to fix it myself. It might be something as simple as a loose wire or a bare wire touching one of the pickup screws. I'm going to replace the strings sometime this week so maybe I'll take the pickup completely out when I do and see if anything looks obviously out of place.