Geddy Lee Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Matt Till, Mar 19, 2003.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'm sure it's been discussed before, but the Geddy Lee Jazz is the greatest instrument I may have ever played... bass at least. I tried one out at the local music store. The tone, the playability, and slick looks to boot. I think I'm in love :D
  2. Then why don't you marry it? Or can you not afford the wedding?
  3. Mr. Pitiful

Mr. Pitiful

Jan 22, 2003
    Fargo ND
    I almost bought one a couple of weeks ago, the neck is the greatest neck I have ever played. I ended up with a Musicman Stingray, which I absolutely love. The Geddy Lee is on my list as my next purchase. I am not a fan of Geddy, or Rush, but I want that bass. It shall be mine. For what its worth, anyone concidering buying a Stingray, the tone is UNBELIEVABLE. The neck is ok, but the tone...oh, the tone. If I could get the stingray with the Geddy Lee neck, oh man.

Mr. Pitiful
  4. i had one a few years ago but i got hooked on 5 strings. i sold geddy, and i wish i didn't. at least i know he's in a good home!

i had no problems with that bass. it was very good to me.
  5. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    I love the looks of the Geddy Lee. I have not played one yet, but man I loved that thing the first time that I saw it. I can't wait until I can play one.
  6. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Yea, I love mine.
  7. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    the Geddy is probably my favorite 4 string Fender- they do sound great- whassup, Furio??
  8. turkish

turkish Guest

Jul 14, 2002
    FCCAUSA, or here
    i have one and i just can seem to get into the sound, it just doesnt' seem to work for me. not enough bottom and the bridge pickup is really weak, i think my pups are defective

but theat neck is my favorite neck (except a frinds lakland) i've ever played

i tihnk'ss i'll eventually add a j retro and either some ultrajazzes or fralins
  9. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    i loved the Geddy Lee i owned for a while.

great bridge growl. no upgrades. stock passive.

best feeling Fender and the most fun i've had with a Fendrer for years!

10. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    They look cool and have a nice neck, but imo the tuners are junk and the pickups are weak. I had one and sold it.
  11. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Their is your problem, right there. :D ;)
  12. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I have one, I did a few mods, put a D-tuner on, a set of BassLine <i>Hot for Jazz</i>, routed a truss rod access so I don't have to take the neck off everytime I need to adjust the neck, changed the V/V/T to a V/Pan/T. I'm also thinking od putting a Mirrored pickguard on her. :)

IMO, This bass had USA Vintage p/u's in it. I'm not sure if they were stock of if they were added after the fact but IMO, the bass was TOO bassy. Not muddy, just very boomy. Also, I agree that the tuners aren't the best available. When no strings are on the bass, the machines turn by themselves LOL but when it's strung up, I have no problems with the bass staying in tune. This bass is being played as much, if not more them my Sadowsky Vintage 4. :)
  13. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN

Yeah, I agree. I recently traded a Stingray for a Geddy. I loved the ray but I wanted a Geddy and could not afford to just drop the cash. My plan is to get a ray again in the future because they ARE awesome basses.

They Geddy has blown my mind. I am all about jazz basses now.
  14. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    The GL has tons of booty with a J-Retro in there, great punch. The stock ones sound great too, preserves more of that ol' Jazz bass vibe. My only complaint has to do with the cheap tuners, easily replaced though.
  15. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    this is kind of off the subject, but doug wimbish has a jazz similar to geddy's. it has the same neck with the block inlays. either way his is naturally finished and has a gold pick gaurd. it looks cool. if i got one, id strip the black and do that to it.
  16. adrian, what's up bro!

i loved the sound i got out of it. it was perfect for my playing style. someday, i'll get a five string that looks like the geddy. it took me a while to get used to the thin neck, but within a week i was loving it. and the fenders are the only headstocks i like with the 4 inline tuners. that's one of the only things i'd change on my kingston. 3+2 instead of 4+1. just my personal preference though.
  17. GL Jazz + + flatwound strings + J-Retro preamp = Best bass for me
  18. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I've played one, and had MAJOR GAS For a while. It's just a jazz bass with a nice feel.
  19. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

ermmm yeah. :meh:

I'm torn between the Geddy Lee and a nice 5-string. In the cover band I'm in, there are a few key changes I have to deal with, a five would be nice. But the Geddy... ohhhhh :bassist:
  20. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    I asked this on another post but probably should have just asked here...

Has anyone tried Dimarzio Js in a Geddy Lee jazz? I have a set coming for mine and I want to know what you all think.