1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Geddy Lee, Marcus Miller (MIJ) or Used Dlx P Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Oldie but noobe, Nov 10, 2006.

1. They have all three at the local shop. Every time I go in I pick them up try them. I can't decide.

I am not that great of a player so it's hard to tell, each day one feels better than the others

Can you help me decide.

2. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Well, because I have such unbearable GAS for one, I'd take the Geddy Lee. Great neck, wonderful tone, and hot looks. And, well, it's got Geddy Lee's name on it.

Graeme

3. avskyelighet

avskyelighet

Oct 18, 2006
    marcus miller :bassist:

4. I have a few Jazzes, and all are passive, therefore I would pick the Am Dlx P. Isn't there one in the classifieds here for cheap??

5. Gegatso

Gegatso

Jan 16, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    Another vote for the Geddy

6. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Well the way I look at it, the Geddy has a more vintage tone and the Marcus has a real hi-fi tone.

7. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

They are 3 different basses; the Precision being the most different. Yet all pretty equal. Since you didn't give any information about what kind of music you play, etc... people on TB are going to give you their own personal preference and maybe a reason why they think so. You should not buy what they tell you to buy because you are not them.
    Go back to the store, spend as much time as it takes to make your final decision ans follow through.

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I one day plan to own all three, I just bought the one that came along at the right time, perfect price, and P-bass neck already on it... the Marcus Miller. She's my #1.

However, one day I'll have the other two, too.

9. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    All are good instruments, but I would probably go for the P.

10. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    Bearing you mind that you can't decide between them, they'll all be good for you at the stage you are playing wise. I'd get the second hand one, you can play it, get better on it and as with the most of us who regularly suffer from gas you can sell it and not take too much of a fall in depreciation if you need to. You never know you may find its a keeper anyway...

11. Thanks for the help guys.

Good point Jazzin'. I like Classic late 60s and 70s Rock, Funk, and Blues. I hope to play in a Church band as my lessons and practice get me to that skill level. I have just started lessons again, but I only have a year or so under my belt.

I saw that Dlx P Bass here in the classifieds, sweet deal!!!

I love the looks of the MM but it's Heavy.

Like Stox said I should just grab one used and have some fun and trade off if I get tired of it.

Thanks to all :bassist:

12. If you have the dough buy, one and put another on lay away. :) Spend some more time with them. They are all good basses. If I was crazy enough and had the money - I would have one of each. :D

13. I just got back from Toms River Music. I went over them again. The Geddy is easier for me to play 1-4 scales the P has that round back and the MM is really heavy. The MM is a looker and I love the boost But

. So I will give the Geddy a shot.

I am going to see how my birthday works out. It's next Saturday. I have been dropping the hints :D
    I'm a 57 year old teen :p

Thanks again

14. Used Dlx P Bass - Lovely sounding bass.
    Marcus Miller - Only for those who want bump at a momment's notice.
    Geddy - Versatile in every sense of the word.

Tough one to call,my friend.

15. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Deluxe P. Very versatile, nice neck, fine workmanship. A very cool bass that sounds great. :)

16. I feel inclined to reply to this thread considering I go to Toms River Music a decent amount. I must say their inventory is quite limited to Fenders and Ibanez's. but, in response to your question I do know the three Basses you speak of. I like the Marcus and I like the Geddy Personally,if I was in your position I may pick the Geddy because to me it's fingerstyle tone is not as "thin" it has more low end and low mids and to get this on the MM you have to go to the neck pickup and boost the bass. Yet I do enjoy the Marcus Miller's slap tone. There is one more you should try out though, the Aerodyne some people like it a lot, while others seem to describe it as sub-par.

P.S.-- The American Series basses are nice too for a little more

17. Basso54

Basso54

Jul 22, 2003
    Dalhart, TX
    +1 for the Geddy, great bass, easy to run on.

18. Bull44

Bull44

Dec 13, 2004
    Maine
    +1 Geddy, how could you pick another? They are very versitile and though the miller is cool, for what you plan to play I think the Geddy would suit you better for the different styles you play. Happy Birthday, Nick

19. adamjones2112

adamjones2112

Nov 12, 2006
    Go for the Geddy, man. I own one and it's my mainstay.

1. While it is a "signature" bass, there's not a big signature on the front of it marking it up and making it look like its something not your own. Geddy was tasteful in wanting his signature on the back of the headstock ;)

2. If you play a lot of '70's rock then it's your bass. Take a listen to a lot of Rush's Moving Pictures album, you're going to find a lot of Geddy's warm, bottomy tones on there from his jazz, and he still gets the bite of the Rickenbacker with some extra attack.

3. The stock tuners are the heavy 70's tuners, and paired with the BadAss bridge, it's VERY hard to knock out of tune.

hope this helps you some...
    and, a suggestion of pure personal preference? Pair the Geddy bass along with the Tech 21 SansAmp RBI... its like butta.

~Adam:bassist:

20. Basso54

Basso54

Jul 22, 2003
    Dalhart, TX
    also, COST, the Miller and Deluxe P-bass are quite a bit more expensive than the Geddy, as i recall.