geddy lee MIA or MIM

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by a e i o u, Nov 16, 2003.

1. is the geddy lee bass made in mexico or america or japan or where?:cool:
  2. is that better than a mexico made bass
  3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Better than the American Jazz...
  4. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I confirm MIJ Fenders are great. My MIJ P is one of the best P's I ever played.
  5. nick g.

nick g. Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2003
    Chandler, Arizona
    I think a Japanese would be better than an American... a lot of oriental cultures have work ethics far beyond most Americans.:rolleyes:
  6. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ive heard MIJ are the worse Jazzes.. but here you guys say elsewise? Are they really better, bc on ebay they go for the same or less then MIMs.
  7. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I would pick the Geddy Bass above the MIA or MIM production line basses right now as far as bang for buck goes.
  8. Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    I'm very happy with my MIM P-Bass ('97). It sounds and plays great. It didn't come with copper tape in the cavity, though.
  9. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    They are indeed the "worse" ones, but they're pretty good quality...and the Geddy Lee shines above the rest! It's one hell of a bargain -- or maybe the only reasonably priced instrument Fender sells...:O

Also, IIRC, the Marcus Miller IV signature is MIJ (the V being MIA though).
  10. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yea i knew those 2 sigs were MIJ, but so the regular MIJ fenders are not that great? IE: not better then MIMs?
  11. Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    There's a Geddy Lee here in a local music store... big gap on the E side of the neck in the pocket and the frets stick out quite a bit on both sides of the neck.. the salesmen say this is because it is a maple fingerboard and the humidity change.. well, that may be so, but it has felt the same to me during all times of the year and the store should maintain humidity anyways... either way, easy fix I supose... neck gap like that would bother me but it may not bother most, I'm anal about cosmetics.. It also has alot of fret buzz but seems like the neck has the right amount of releif.. probably could just use a fret-job. It is a decent playing and nice sounding bass though.

I always have read that MIJ's have better quality control and therefore the basses are consistantly better than MIM's... I have seen some pretty bad MIA's so I think all Fenders need to be seen and played before being purchased.
  12. superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    i've played SOME MIAs that were better... but MANY i've tried out in stores were not so hot. maybe it was mostly the setup, but occasionally scratchy or loose feeling pots, dead spots, etc.

i've owned a Geddy Lee and tried out many MIJ fenders (i go to japan often) and i think that pound for pound, dollar for dollar, the MIJ is a better value.

if i was gonna shell out $900+ for an MIA, i'd rather go with a Moon bass or Bacchus, or Atelier Z (all Japanese jazz basses)
    but sorry, that's neither here nor there... :D