Geddy Lee MIM - Peeling Lacquer On Neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bash94, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Bash94

Bash94

Jan 13, 2014
    Looking for feedback, my friend ordered a used Geddy Lee MIM bass from GC for his son for xmas. He asked me to look it over and put new strings on it. I noticed on the back of the neck where the skunk strike is it looks and feels like the lacquer is peeling. It is between the 1st and 3rd fret. I made sure that the truss rod works. I was able to tighten it and loosen it. Just about a quarter turn. I wasn’t sure if the truss rod somehow made the skunk stripe pop up or if maybe the previous owner just scratched the neck. It almost looks like the lacquer cracked.

Should he return this or see about having it repaired? I will take it to a luthier that I know. Just checking to see if this is a red flag.

I would appreciate any input.

Thanks

7FCA0F7A-08E5-4CA5-9F84-1B3D8EC5452A.jpeg

2. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    I would say bad glue joint on the skunk stripe. I think it would be a warranty issue. Curious- Mexican Geddy? All I've ever seen was Japan and U.S.A.

3. Bash94

Bash94

Jan 13, 2014
    Yes Mexican Geddy. They started doing the MIJ ones in Mexico several years back. I asked GC and they said the warranty only applies to the original owner. Maybe I should contact Fender.

4. In my experience this can be pretty common with MIM Fenders I have had, actually I have a USA Prodigy from 1991 and this happened to it. It was reglued when it worsened. That maybe stable. I believe its from the truss rod wedging the stripe when turned or the 2 different woods expanding and contracting during temp differences.

5. Bash94

Bash94

Jan 13, 2014
    Thanks for the reply. Just dropped it by a luthier. He said that the wood looks ok, but he is going to work on it and take care of the feel of the cracked lacquer. Sand it, buff it, whatever magic he can do.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021