Geddy Lee model upgrade

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by GrooveMongrel, Mar 14, 2005.

1. I have a Fender Geddy Lee signature model. I'm considering replacing the stock pickups with either Seymour Duncan Basslines 1/4 Pounders or Bartolini's (not sure which ones). I use Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flats, and play fingerstyle. Any suggestions or ideas are greatly appreciated.
  2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    what sound are you looking for? I tried out a bunch of pickups in a GL jazz, lot of good sounding ones - more a question of what you're looking for
  3. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Check the Smash's Summer Showdown thread.
  4. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    What's lacking in the stock ones? Why are you looking to upgrade?
  5. I'm looking for a meaty, thick bottom with good low-mid definition, and a defined but not squeaky, harsh top end. Good punch with old-school vibe. I bought the Geddy model because I dig the '70's style block inlays and bound fretboard. I also like the tonal quality of a maple neck and fretboard, in addition to the slimmer profile of the Geddy model neck. The US vintage single-coils that came stock aren't bad, but they're not great either. I bought this with the intention of upgrading it, if after several months of playing I wasn't totally satisfied. I have a pretty good deal waiting on a set of SPB-3's or the Bartolini 9CBJS or 9J1L/S models (which is why I asked about those two specifically) I am considering others as well but would appreciate any reviews or opinions about the aforementioned.
  6. I did search through TB forums and didn't really get the answers I was looking for. I also read the entire SMASH thread and found no reviews for the SPB-3's.