1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Geddy Lee neck dimensions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Phil Mailloux, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Phil Mailloux

Phil Mailloux

Mar 25, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Builder: Mailloux Basses
    Hi all,

I'm thinking of building a Geddy Lee neck replica for a jazz bass project I've got. I read here that the GL neck is thinner than normal.I'd like to find out exactly how thin.

What I need is the thickness dimensions at the first fret and twelfth fret, calculated from the middle of the fretboard (between nut and first fret) and back of neck, same for 12th fret.

I'll be eternaly grateful to the one who has the time to do this with his own bass :D

2. giantjerk

giantjerk

Jan 18, 2003
    Allen, TX
    I'm on it, give me an hour or so. I have a set of digital calipers so I'll give you the thickness of the neck, in millimeters, measured at the (approximate) center between each fret up to the point that the neck meets the body.

3. Phil Mailloux

Phil Mailloux

Mar 25, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Yes!

thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you, add infinitum. :D

4. giantjerk

giantjerk

Jan 18, 2003
    Allen, TX
    Starting at the first fret and going through the 15th. Measurement beyond the 15th is not feasable due to the heel of the neck and curve toward the flat of the heel. The thickness was measured several times and the actual value is the dimension is +/- .01.

5. mattpnolan

mattpnolan Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    Will warmoth make a neck to these dimensions? It's just awfully hard to find a GL neck by itself.

6. 7thbass

7thbass

Nov 21, 2003
    Houston, Tx
    I think the original neck was shaved down to current profile. Could buy a warmoth neck and let someone with the right tools have at it.

7. Phil Mailloux

Phil Mailloux

Mar 25, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Thanks very much Giantjerk, I'm eternaly grateful :D

8. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Phil.....before you jump into a huge effort, check out Blade basses. The Geddy Lee is the only Fender that has a neck profile closest to it. I run mine through a Sadowsky preamp to fatten the sound. To honest, I find the Blade neck superior to the GL. In terms of then and narrow for a jazz bass, the Blade delivers.

9. Phil Mailloux

Phil Mailloux

Mar 25, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Thanks for the info Bmc but I wanted the dimensions of the neck so I could actually build it myself. I'm not in the market to buy basses anymore :D

10. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    LMAO.......Yeah right. We're all the same aren't we? :D