1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Geddy Lee neck on a MIA Jazz ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jnewmark, Jan 8, 2012.

1. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    Has anyone ever replaced the neck on an MIA Jazz with the Geddy Lee neck ? I love the neck on my GL, but not crazy about the sound. I have a '98 MIA Jazz, with a pretty beat up neck. Just wondering if the GL neck would fit ( both are 4 bolt ), or would there be too much modding to be worth it ?

2. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Should be a perfect fit.

3. jnewmark

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Thanks. Never really done this before with any neck. Are the 4 holes uniformly drilled from neck to neck on Fender basses ?

4. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    It should probably fit pretty good. Just try it out, and if it seems like the neck isn't going to fit, take it off and put it back. No harm done.

5. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

+1.

The only issue I have ever had with trying to swap necks between Fenders is when I tried to slap a new Squier VM Jazz fretless neck on a 1973 Jazz body. Not even close to fitting.

Point is... you will know right away if it will fit. In your case, you should be fine.

6. jnewmark

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Thanks, everyone. Just out of curiosity, does Fender use this neck on any other bass ? I've heard it called a " slim profile " neck, but, other than that, seems to have the same specs as the typical Jazz neck: 1.5" at nut, 9.5 radius, " C " shape neck.

7. s4001

s4001

Feb 2, 2009
    The early VM jazzes had the same neck shape as the Geddy: very flat. Newer ones I've seen have been of differing shapes, even baseball bat style.