Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Geddy Lee neck (On his bass, haha)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RealBK, Jul 16, 2002.

1. RealBK

RealBK

Feb 8, 2002
    Hi, Can i have some feedback on the Fender Geddy Lee bass neck? i have heard a lot of people saying it is to flat and thin! How thin is it? we ain't talking about Ibanez Soundgear thin are we? I also heard the nut width is closer than 1.5, is that true?

My Geddy Bass is still on order!!!!! I live in the U.K., so i had to order from ouside the U.K

2. BillyBishop

BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    Canada
    I've played one..I'm not sure of the measurments but its REALLY REALLY thin.

3. Is it made in the usa?

4. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Fender site lists the nut width at 1.5".

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

It is 1.5", but has a much shallower profile than any Fender neck that I have ever played.

It is thinner at the nut than a Soundgear 4, but has a more exaggerated taper than an Ibanez, so quickly gets thicker than a Soundgear neck.

6. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    it's made in Japan....

P@

7. is that good or bad?

8. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I don't have any problems with japanese basses

P@

[​IMG]

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Nor do I!:D

[​IMG]

10. I've had many MIJ Fenders (Strats, P-Basses and Jazz basses), including the Fretless Jazz I have now, and they were all very good. I wish I had kept all of them!

11. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    You got it !!!!!:D

I don't think you'll be disapointed!!!

The only thing I suggest is to keep a really nice cloth for keeping that thing clean.

I've played some ibanez sound gears but the neck seems so much thinner on the sound gears. I'm pretty sure what embellisher said about the neck taper is accurate.

So do you think you might be making any changes to the hardware or anything? or are you going to wait?