Geddy Lee nut buzz question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cchorney, May 10, 2012.

1. cchorney

cchorney Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    My Geddy Lee has developed a buzz when I hit the A string open. If I rest my finger on the string where it passes thru the nut the buzz goes away. I don't have any fret buzz. I am thinking my plastic stock nut needs replacing. With that in mind...

Question 1: Is my assessment right?

Question 2: Replace it with bone or with another plastic one?

2. 64jazzbass

64jazzbass

Sep 5, 2002
    Chicago, Il
    How is your A string wound around the tuning post? Sometimes if it's not wrapped all the way down to the bottom of the post you can get a rattling sound. Otherwise, fret the C on your A string at the third fret and se if you have any clearance from the top of your first fret to the string by pushing the string down. If not, your nut slot may be cut too low

3. john_g

john_g Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    The title of this thread is misleading =(

=) sorry couldnt resist!

kobass and tlc1976 like this.
  4. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    +1.

Jazz basses are prone to string buzz on the A string if they're not wound low enough on the post. Make sure you give it a few wrappings next time you replace the string.

5. cchorney

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    That was it, there's absolutely no change in string angle from the head side to the neck side of the nut. I'll get a new set of strings, let them wind lower down the post, and that should fix that.

Thanks!!!

6. jtl1380

jtl1380

Oct 12, 2010
    Asheville, NC
    If you aren't able to fix this with the string trick and do end up having to get a new nut, then I would highly recommend a bone nut. It may cost a bit more, but it's worth it.

I just made this change on one of my basses (not a Fender mind you) b/c I switched to a bit lighter gauge E & B strings. I was having the same issues as you are having with the string vibrating in the nut saddle. On my luthier's advice I went with the bone nut and so far I've been exceedingly happy with the results. This is of course just my opinion so YMMV.

7. jtl1380

jtl1380

Oct 12, 2010
    Asheville, NC
    Sorry, looks you you sent this reply while I was typing my other one.

8. AmericanFenderJazzMan

AmericanFenderJazzMan Guest

Jan 24, 2016
    your not alone, I have the same exact problem on my usa fender geddy lee jazz bass...I'm thinking it might be the bone nut...did you ever find out what it was so i could know? thanks

9. cchorney

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    Geddy Lee nut buzz question

10. Farseer

Farseer Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2014
    Parker, Colorado
    The US Ged is a bone nut. I had buzzing when I first got mine. I had a new bone nut cut for it and replaced the strings one month in of owning it. My guitar tech said the nut was cut to close on the A.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021