Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Geddy Lee or Joe Osborne Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Linas, Jan 9, 2006.

1. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    I am partialed between purchasing a Geddy Lee Jazz Bass or a Lakland Joe Osborne. The lakland might be a tad more expensive but thats not a deciding factor in this. I want to know which bass you guys think plays and sounds nicer.

Linas

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I liked the Joe better than the Geddy. Not that you can go wrong with either one. They're both killer basses.

BTW, why the hell won't Fender offer the Geddy in any other color besides black? I hate black basses...they look so...black.

3. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    Could it be, perhaps, because Geddy's bass is...*gasp*...black!

Am I the only one that thinks he sounded better with the Ric?

4. pdusen

pdusen

Aug 18, 2004
    Well, I disagree. I liked both his Ric tone and his modern overdriven tone. I think he sounds just as cool no matter what he plays.

5. tepes22b

tepes22b

Sep 15, 2005
    Maumee, OH
    Not to mention he did record great stuff in the 70s and on Moving Pictures with the Fender as well. Songs like Limelight wouldn't have that growl to them with a Ric. It works for songs like Red Barchetta, but I like that he has tried different things, even the Wal basses of the 80s.

6. julo

julo

Jan 18, 2005
    Boulder, CO
    never tried the Osborne model, but i think it may sound more traditional jaz bass .

no??

J

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I felt they were pretty comparable basses, I'd personally take the Geddy because I felt it had a little more growl to it.

8. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I have not played the joe osborn, but I have played a ton of geddy lee basses, and quite a number of other laklands. I think the look of the geddy is super cool (I love black blocks on a maple neck) but from what I have seen of lakland skyline construction, and sound I would say go lakland.

9. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    I know the black blocks are painted on, but does this mean the binding is painted on too? Who knows where fender cuts corners.

10. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

I will not have a black bass. I have probably passed up some good deals because of it, but I just don't want one.

Best of luck,
    Wesley R.

11. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Tangent: any idea what bass + rig (or recording chain) he used on
    'Spirit of the Radio'? I particularly like the overdriven bass sound under/during the guitar solo.

12. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Skip them both and go for a Blade Tetra if you are interested in growl and accurate 60's Jazz sound.

13. Larry99

Larry99

Aug 17, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    I'm not crazy about black basses either. You can't see 'em on stage.

Never played a geddy but I just got a Skyline JO5. It's a beautiful bass, fast neck, killer tone, top notch craftsmanship. I was apprehensive about the single coil Fralins before I got the bass but they're awesome - bright, super hot, aggressive sounding. I really love the tone panned a bit toward the bridge pup for that growly jaco-like fingerstyle tone. Excellent slap tone too with the pups panned center. It's a really sweet bass.

14. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I think you might be off base on this one. I've played a number of geddy's, and none of their inlays/binding seemed to be painted. It might not be perfectly inlayed, as imperfect inlays are oftern filled in on the edges with blackish glue that might appear to be painted. This was the case with my sx, and it has real inlays, but it looked kind of "painted"

Inlayed or not, it is my opinion that with lakland in the bussiness, there is really no reason to buy a fender unless you need the MIM pricepoint

15. appler

appler Guest

The Geddy Lee has more of a '70s vibe while the Joe Osborn has more of a '60s jazz bass sound. The JO seemed more solid to me. Overall, I'd say the Osborn is a higher quality instrument than the Geddy Lee, tonal preferences aside.

16. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I like the Geddy lee jazz bass, it's very very cool.

But I prefer his Ric tone to the Jazz tone, and the Wal tone over everything.

Hold Your Fire, Presto and Power Windows, apart from being Rush's best albums (imo) have the best production and KILLER bass tone! :bassist:

17. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    I just read this in another thread and thought it was true, who knows. The thing that sucks, is at the store the lakland JO has flats on it, which doesnt really give me a feel for how it would sound with rounds, (which i would be playing). I like the way the geddy sounds over the JO but its most likekly alot to do with the strings. Maby i will ask them to throw on some rounds, its worth a shot i suppose.

18. fatsobasso

fatsobasso

Dec 24, 2005
    Ormond florida
    i own a fender rb5 but i say go with the lakland jobo on this one for sure.yes the strings on the jobo stink but throw some
    nickel roundwound on there for a nice soft but punchy bass tone.

19. Nope.

20. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I've only played a geddy at guitar center, so I didn't see it at its best, but I'd say the lakland is a higher quality bass. Note though that the laklands come with very small frets, which you may or may not dig.