1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Geddy Lee overrated??

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by twdavis13, Sep 27, 2009.

1. twdavis13

twdavis13

Dec 14, 2008
    Is it blasphemy, or is it a plausible possibility?? I've been listening to both The Who and Geddy Lee extensively, and I honestly feel that Entwistle was way more inventive and interesting. I also think Geddy Lee was rather boring, and it just seemed, dull... plus, alot of his were rather repetitive 5th interval garb...:bag:

Cheerio???:bassist:

2. You better hide. hehe

3. OtterOnBass

OtterOnBass

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan
    Do you work for a newspaper? Headlines like these are immune from being legally labeled opinion or slander, but clearly state what you think. In a forum of bass players, how could Geddy Lee's popularity be less than deserved?

4. JukeBoxHero

JukeBoxHero

May 21, 2009
    Ah, still being a theory newbie, what would the fifth interval be?(I have an idea I know what your talking about but still, I like clarification).

5. Bassgirlsara

Bassgirlsara

May 22, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Hell nah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. CayceG

CayceG

Feb 14, 2009
    Cookeville, TN
    I think you're crazy.

Any other Rush fans care to lay into him? :p

7. funkybass4ever

funkybass4ever

Dec 12, 2007
    Please remember that Lee writes the song and performs the song sometimes with keyboards and bass- while singing! :hyper:

8. The fifth interval is the 5th tone in either a major or minor scale. If your root note was the 5th fret on the e string, then the fifth would be the 7th fret on the a string. Aka... the perfect fifth, etc.

And no, I dont think he is god at all. A good player, yes. An icon and inspiration to thousands, yep. A multi platnum selling lead artist? Yes again.

On the same level of other popular bassists like Victor Wooten, Marcus Miller, Billy Sheehan, Les Claypool and even Flea or Ryan Martine??? Not so much.

And I really DO NOT like his singing.

9. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    Your Momma!:spit:

:bag:

Seriously, that bit of fun aside, how can one compare the Ox to Geddy? Other than both are bass players of (IMHO) the finest sort and both take a forefront in the musical composition of each bands music, can you really pit one against the other? Isn't that just a personal judgment?

Actually, for the sake of discussion of each players skill, or each players sound, technique etc.. one can compare. In that context. But claim one is "better" than the other?

Verbal/textual diarrhea my friend, and subject to one being labeled a troll. Again, all IMHO.

And actually, let's hear you play better than Geddy, including composing the bass line to an original song, in the same style of Rush's music. But then wouldn't that also be subjective on my part?

And I am sure, Geddy can read this and laugh all the way to the bank at your total wankery of thought...again, IMHO...

:bassist:
    Peace!

10. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    I'm curious as to what tunes featuring Geddy you were listening to. I don't think he's overrated at all. I think he is underrated as a songwriter, although in a three-piece it's hard to separate the two.

11. I really don't think so
    Rush is different then the who
    Both Great bassist but I gotta give Geddy Credit making Prog Rock mainstream

12. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    Been there, done that, got the shirt.....:D

For the sake of debate and all in good fun....:cool:

13. kingpin2512

kingpin2512

Aug 9, 2008
    Wisconsin
    You sir should check yourself into mental health institute.;) jk
    I do disagree strongly with you though.

14. EBMatt

EBMatt

Nov 21, 2003
    Springfield, MA
    I like Entwistle more too, but Geddy isn't overrated...

15. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    Plus the fact that Geddy has been doing it probably longer than the OP has been alive. Name another prog band that's been around as long,and still gigging with the same lineup.There is something to be said about longevity.

16. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    blasphemer!

17. twdavis13

twdavis13

Dec 14, 2008
    Let me just be clear by saying that he is still a very great bass player, one of the best, but I don't think he's quite as great as he's cracked up to be.:ninja:

Can I have some time to find a suitable piece of body armour??:bag:

Look, I'm not saying that he isnt great, and I'm NOWHERE near as good as he is, or even Entwistle, I'm just saying that I don't think he's the be all and end all of bass players that he's mad eout to be....
    That said, he's still one of my favorites!:bassist:

18. wow.... I guess there is no place for opinion in these pages.

19. Jomyo

Jomyo

Oct 6, 2005
    Redwood City, CA
    I see this kind of comment often when people bring up Geddy and it makes me wonder. I know it's all opinion, of course, but for me judging a player involves not only technical chops but the original music that the player has created. Given that criteria, none of those players cited have created music that has moved me a fraction of Geddy's music.

It's all IMHO, YMMV, etc. though.......

20. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    Your only reason for saying he's underrated is "he's boring"? Have you ever tried singing and playing at the same time? Let alone playing the way he did?