1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Geddy Lee overrated??

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by twdavis13, Sep 27, 2009.

1. twdavis13

twdavis13

Dec 14, 2008
    +1

:rolleyes:

2. JukeBoxHero

JukeBoxHero

May 21, 2009
    Ah that's what I thought it was, thanks for the clarification.

I think Geddy Lee is a good bassist, he got some got awesome lines to me. Bastille Day, Cinderella Man, Big Money, Cygnus X-1 are some of his creative highlights IMO. I think. I think he might get put on the grand pedestal more than he needs to be at times, but regardless, he is my favorite bassist and the reason I started playing.

3. ShirazBop

ShirazBop

Sep 29, 2006
    Greensboro, NC
    Circumstances....singing over playing odd time...and in French too!!!

4. backline112

backline112 Guest

Jun 3, 2008
    Everything everyone has said in this thread is subjective, relative to personal experiences; opinions, and therefore pointless. That includes what I just wrote. I want facts.

What really matters (in my opinion :D) is Choice, Taste.

I like how Geddy Lee plays the bass.

IN MY OPINION DUH!!! Obviously.

5. TOOL460002

TOOL460002 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz CA
    so youre not a fan of coheed and cambria? hehe...

geddy has technical skills, but, as has been mentioned, hes also a songwriter, and there are many songwriters/singers who have pretty crap guitar skills that most people ignore.

i love rush songs, but i like the songwriting more than the bass, and if i had a genie, and could wish for vocals, i wouldnt wish for mr geddy lees pipes... sorry... hes still awesome though...

6. bommer

bommer

May 13, 2009
    Canada, Eh!
    Geddy = The Man. nuff said

7. Kevinmach

Kevinmach

Dec 7, 2008
    This is what I wondering too. If you think his stuff is all the same, clearly you have not listened to enough Rush.

And no offense, but the original basis of your argument, that the Ox is better, has zero bearing on the skills of Geddy. Entwistle get's plenty of props on his own.

Come on, spare us the "poor me" me bit. You are absolutely entitled to your opinion... you don't have to like Geddy. To say he's not your favorite or not your greatest influence is one thing, but to insinuate that he doesn't deserve the credit he gets is kind of like saying Michael Jordan is overrated.... you don't have to like him either, but that fact that he dominated basketball for 15 years kind of makes the question of whether or not he has extreme skills, a moot point.

???

I'm genuinely confused. How can he be one of the best of millions of people that play an instrument and still not be as great as he's cracked up to be?

On a personal note, this where I sit as well. I like a lot of other bass players that have mad talent, but true enough, some of the melodies themselves don't do anything for me (Flea is a great bassist, also one of the best, but I really cannot get into most his music)... whereas Geddy is the guy who inspired me to pick up the bass. If this was the basis of your statement, then I can't fault you for that, since what "moves" you is purely a matter of opinion... however, when it comes to skill and ability, that's a little less debatable.

Obviously, I don't agree with you. And that's totally fine. I guess I am struggling to see where you find him so lacking that you feel the way you do (comments like "boring" don't really convey much)

8. Knifedge

Knifedge

Jan 24, 2009
    I don't compare bass players to other bass players.. apples and oranges.
    I don't consider Geddy to be only a great bass player, but a great, well rounded musician. He sings, plays bass, plays keys, and makes it look effortless considering the chops he has laid down in his songs. Is he over-rated? It is people that love him that put him on that pedestal, I am sure that Geddy doesn't walk around singing "I'm better than Victor Wooton" all day under his breath. I can understand where you are coming from, I know I see a lot of "this bass player is the best, that bass player is the best" in this forum (and other forums similar), and frankly I even get a little tired of it. :)

I believe that, once you have been playing bass (or music) for so long, music and bass playing doesn't come down to who is the best in their craft. I just realize these great bass players for what they have to offer, and leave it at that. Entwistle is a good player as well, as are all the bass players mentioned in this thread. Opinion is valuable to those who have one, and twice as valuable to those who oppose it.

9. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    C'mon Geddy is good but so are 100's of other player's who are PRO's. It's all a matter of taste.

That said, having seen both the WHO and RUSH live, I will tell you that both Geddy and Entwistle (RIP) are nothing short of fantastic live. I tend to like Entwistle somewhat better as his live sound would wrench your guts out, total brute force power and punch.

Geddy on the other hand was, when I saw them last (Moving Pictures tour), the total package. When you can play bass, keys, taurus pedals, and sing all at the same time.... well that's PRO all the way. His tone was powerful but not in the same vein as Entwistle. I found it to be full, very well rounded, and just about perfect in the mix. It approached the force of Entwistle's only on the older more raw 3 piece stuff but didn't give me that "pit of the stomach" kick like Entwistle's did.

Anyone who's seen the WHO live knows what I'm talking about. The bass sound was HUGE. The only other time I heard bass that huge was years ago when I saw Grand Funk. Mel had a gigantic tone. PA's were in their infancy back then so as a bassist, you had to move "concert hall" levels of air with your backline. Entwistle's SUNN folded 18 cabs did that and more. The PA was used just "for effect".

All those guys can play / sing circles around me but I've stole a few licks from them. I mean who hasn't ;)

Keep Low :bassist:

10. Exit Stage Left
    Freewill
    From 3:05 to 4:05

Yes, his lines are constructed around a lot of 5ths, but it's his style. Much like Victor Wooten's style is constructed primarily around what his right hand does or Flea filling the space left by a spartan guitar style. Or Ox constructing his lines as a brass instrument.

And as has been stated many times before, he's not Victor Wooten. He's not Jaco. He's not Entwistle...hell, he idolizes Ox and Jack Bruce.

Overrated? Nope. He's one of the few bassits that has evolved and morphed his style to continue to push the bounds of their music and find their space in the sonic mix.

And at the end of the day, it's all about serving the song.

11. Hmm... One of the most recognizable bass players (amongst musicians), a Fender Signature bass (though they're giving those away like nothin' else), and a three-decade career. I don't know what you guys think, but I believe that a musician who still has original, distinguishable ideas after 30+ years is not overrated.

12. Rockman

Rockman

Mar 2, 2006
    Say hes one of the best then say over rated? Congrats on cantradiction yourself and totally ruining anything you could say on the matter. Say hes one of the best then say over rated?

13. Steve!

Steve!

Nov 5, 2008
    No.

14. kenfreshmeadows

kenfreshmeadows

May 25, 2009
    Im gonna go practice some 5ths so i could be as good as Geddy

15. Billnc

Billnc

Aug 6, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Saw Rush live Hemispsheres tour. Better than, best comparisons didn't matter still don't. Simply world class. Geddy, the Ox, Jack Bruce are in the same league.

16. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Overrated? I certainly don't agree with that. I have a hell of a time playing a lot of his bass lines and he does them while he's singing and he's playing keys with his feet. And he gets a totally original, easily distinguishable tone while doing it.

Ever listen to an interview with him? On top of all that talent he's also as humble and down to earth a guy as you'll ever find yet

As far as I'm concerned he deserves all the accolades he gets. His talent, work ethic, and humility set a far better example than any of the pathetic prima donna athletes strutting about on ESPN pounding their own chest and begging for camera time.

Does that mean he's better than Entwistle? Uhhhhh, I don't know. The Ox was mighty good. But it doesn't matter who is "better". I don't think that can even be answered. At that high a level, I think there's only "different".

17. Jayrob77

Jayrob77

Aug 25, 2009
    listen to circumstance on the hemispheres album and tell me that isnt legendary playing!

18. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Composer, player, arranger, singer, keyboardist, sequencer programmer, producer, and the ability to still grow a soul patch that he has never seen without a mirror(Nose Joke)....NO!!!! Geddy isn't overrated, in fact, in many ways he may be underrated.

Geddy has been a hero to many, and an inspiration to most who have ever aspired to play Rock n Roll. Players such as Geddy, The OX, and JPJ come along rarely, and can only be thought of in the context of pillars of their craft, as everyone in the same field aspire to be like them.

Like Stanley, Jaco, Marcus, Alphonso, Chuck etc. in the jazz/fusion area, there are only a few.

Geddy is one of those in Rock. Not Overrated.

19. We just joke he shaves around the shadow of his nose. :)

20. ShirazBop

ShirazBop

Sep 29, 2006
    Greensboro, NC
    ^^^ exactly what 1st came to my mind!:bassist: