1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Geddy Lee overrated??

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by twdavis13, Sep 27, 2009.

1. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Banned

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    Just fyi, when you add IMHO at the end of everything you say, while essentially calling the guy a moron and resort to the pretty standard "I'd like to see you do xyz better than ABC" you just seem like some one without the balls to actually call that person a moron.

2. jaff

jaff

Jun 7, 2006
    Arizona
    I could learn plenty from him. That's what matters to me.

3. Maktesh

Maktesh

Jan 30, 2009
    Alright, I get tired of Rush. As much as I love them and think Geddy is great I don't listen to them often. And I do like all these other guys you listed but honestly apart from Wooten there is a real strong case to Geddy being better than all them. IMHO he is second on that list after Wooten.

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I think Geddy fits HIS band perfectly. His bass lines fit HIS music very well. I have no interest in seeing a "bass off" between any two famous bassists. If they do their jobs well in THEIR situations, they deserve admiration. Geddy and Entwistle = apples and oranges. I'm sure each respect(ed) the others work. Why debate it at all?

5. Ayliffe

Ayliffe

May 8, 2007
    Ontario, Canada

that really made me giggle, neither of those guys have anything on Geddy. The others? yes, they are all very good, but flea and Ryan Martine? You have to be ****ing joking me. Someone watches too much MTV

6. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Banned

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    Martinie is a ****ing good bass player, don't kid yourself.

7. BigRedBassPlayer

BigRedBassPlayer Supporting Member

All totally different styles. But, Geddy knows his way around the bass all too well. Geddy is one of my inspirations. And just like any other bass player or bass god, he may be a god to one but not the other.

8. Ayliffe

Ayliffe

May 8, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    good bass player and better than geddy lee are two COMPLETELY different things.

9. strappa

strappa Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Philadelphia, PA
    You think Geddy is overrated?
    Fine I can respect that.

He can not be compared just as the Ox can not be compared.
    Apples and Oranges.
    The comparison turns your opinion into a flame.

Is he overrated? I don't think so.
    The replies to this thread show many others think he is not overrated.

30 years later his music is still being played on the radio.

10. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Banned

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    To who? You?
    Quite frankly I'd rather listen to recordings of Martinie playing with Mudvayne than I would listen to Vic with The Flecktones. Same goes for rush too quite frankly. Good band, good bass players, not up my alley when given the option between them and mudvayne.

Besides, read your own post, and you'll see why I posted what I posted. I never said he was better than Geddy, but you said, and I quote "The others? yes, they are all very good, but flea and Ryan Martine? You have to be ****ing joking me. Someone watches too much MTV" So....yea.....

11. PBass101

PBass101

Jul 3, 2008
    Illinois
    I'm a huge Rush and The Who fan. I've seen Rush live once and will see them again. I will not see "The Who?" without John Entwistle.

That being said, I prefer John Entwistle's stuff but you can't really compare them because if you really watch and listen, they don't even use remotely similar techniques as far as hitting or fretting the strings. They each have/had two completely different bass styles both in technique and also in how they structured their basslines.

And no, Geddy Lee is not overrated. He's done as much for bass guitar as anybody and Rush rocks.

12. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    This.

I vote NOT overrated. I've never heard anything by him that I didn't enjoy. Geddy = :cool:

PS Listening to "Spirit Of Radio" right now

13. Ayliffe

Ayliffe

May 8, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I can't see how anyone could think Mudvayne is better than Rush, especially any competent musician. Rush is so ahead of anything Mudvayne has ever done (90% of which is ****, LD-50 is the only tolerable album), and don't get me wrong, i don't dislike metal, quite the opposite in fact, 90% of what i listen to is metal... but mudvayne should have given up after their first cd.

.. And okay, i worded my response loosely, hang me for it. Martinie has nothing on Geddy in terms of anything but slapping skill... OH ****. When it comes to writing bass lines/ multitasking/ writing phenomenal music, the guy should just sit down in geddy's presence.

14. troyus

troyus

Apr 9, 2008
    San Diego, CA.
    "Anything that purports to be rock but doesn't bear at least a minimal Wittgensteinian family resemblance to the music on the Stooges "Fun House" isn't really rock. More to the point it isn't really good. Ergo, "progressive rock" is horrible."

:D

15. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Banned

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    I didn't hang you for it, I just pointed out an inaccuracy that flawed your argument.

And you can think what you want about what music a "competent" musician should listen to and prefer listening too, but quite frankly it simply makes you look like nothing more than an aloof jackass. I like Mudvayne, i would rather listen to them more than I'd listen to Rush, same with Five Finger Death Punch, Lamb of God, etc. etc. Honestly I wouldn't pay a $40 ticket to go see Rush live, but I'd pay $50 or so to see Mudvayne, because that's what I enjoy listening to. If that makes me an incompetent musician who probably isn't fit to tune a bass much less play it, then I guess that's what I am and I'm happy with it; and apparently so is the OP.

16. Geddy Claypool

Geddy Claypool SX J-75/Traben Neo 4 -> SVT-CL/SVT-810E

Aug 3, 2008
    Maryland
    Pah.

Geddy is God. Simple as that.

EDIT: Geddy's the man, and he's my hero. But all the closed-minded Geddy-elitism in this thread is nauseating. I mean, I think Geddy would be open-minded enough to give a newer player like Ryan Martine a chance. Why can't we?

17. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    Nah man, it is my opinion. I am not calling anyone a moron. And I did point out that my saying -

"let's hear you play better than Geddy, including composing the bass line to an original song, in the same style of Rush's music. But then wouldn't that also be subjective on my part?"

pretty much made me guilty of the same thing I accused the OP of.

my point in a nutshell is, any bass player that takes home a check for over 30 years in the same band is doing something right. The issue is weather you or I (or anyone) should or can claim bass player x is better bass player y. Compare styles, composition gear whatever is a different story.

That's pretty much all I was trying to say.
    :bassist:

18. Who is going around rating bass players anyway? It's not like they have a section in Consumer Reports about bassists.

Like who you like,don't worry about others' thoughts.We all have opinions.None are wrong.Until proven otherwise by facts.

19. superhand

superhand

Sep 14, 2009
    Fresno, CA
    Yeah. I think he is overrated. I never understood what all the fuss was about. My thing is that I just don't like Rush. He is a good bass player, no doubt but if I can't get into the band then just listening to the bass doesn't do it for me.

Jaco was an amazing bass player to, I just can't get into most of his music. Donna Lee was freakin' awesome tho.

I think we need a poll.

20. Fetusyolk

Fetusyolk

Aug 7, 2008
    doesn't neil pert write much of the lyrics?