1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Geddy Lee overrated??

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by twdavis13, Sep 27, 2009.

1. selfblessed

selfblessed

Dec 29, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    I am not into any of Rush's music. Which means I am not a Geddy fan. That being said...I also am not into the Who. Which means I am not an john entwistle fan either. Different strokes I guess.

2. PBass101

PBass101

Jul 3, 2008
    Illinois
    Lee and Lifeson write all of the music, though. And I recall one interview with Geddy where he said that he's free to alter Neil's lyrics if he thinks they'll suit the music better.

3. ShawnStones

ShawnStones

Nov 24, 2008
    Rockford,Il
    And just like someone said, the ox and geddy= apples and oranges......martinie and geddy=apples and pears.

Both are monster players no doubt, but you can't compare them side by side in any way other than the obvious.

4. The real question is, who is better... Geddy or Gene Simmons?
    :rolleyes:

5. RexNFX79

RexNFX79

Jan 12, 2009
    TENNESSEE
    ???????????????????????????????

6. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Most certainly NOT blasphemy.
    I recon the rest is taste.

7. Hamrhed

Hamrhed

Dec 26, 2007
    Ky
    Geddy's playing is pretty impressive considering that he is Rush's lead vocalist and keyboardist. He may not be for everyone, but his popularity will get these kind questions simply because so many people dig him...

I really like John Entwhistle's body of work- and he himself was a big influence on Geddy. When I listen to the Rush live cd's and dvd's- and how Geddy has evolved over the years- I cant help but be impressed. Overhyped? Maybe. Overrated? Hardly...

8. +1.

This is thread is one colossal circle-jerk. I'm going over to "Chicks at Shows."

9. BigMacDaddy

BigMacDaddy

May 25, 2009
    Rochester, NY
    Not blasphemy; it is an opinion. You are entiltled to yours. I find it curious the number of posts dedicated to saying that people who are disagreeing as not allowing opinion without realizing that all those people are saying is that they disagree. I like Geddy, I like Entwistle better. Both are great, if you look at what they do. I just like different sounds better. Isn't that what it is really about.

I think you would get the same type of reaction to a poll about various bands. Some people like one thing, others like other things. People will always strongly stand behind their opinion, and as long as we are all civil I will enjoy these posts.

10. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    No.

11. It's totally subjective.

My definition of a great bassist is someone I enjoy listening to, regardless of technique and theory.

It's hard enough for bassists to stand out as it is, so I think we should actually celebrate musicians like Geddy/The Ox, etc, that are acclaimed for what we all love to do - play bass!

12. Geddy Lee overrated?

Impossible.

13. Bassman316

Bassman316

May 27, 2008
    Longs, SC
    Hellz no. How many people out there can sing, play bass, and hit bass pedals all at the same time? And a lot of this stuff ain't simple, either.

14. Maybe it just shows what a ridiculous question it was to ask if someone like Geddy Lee is overrated! Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, even if they are wrong.:eek:

15. Ayliffe

Ayliffe

May 8, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    actually theres a quite a few, i know 3 in my small **** town alone.

16. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    I just read this thread, and then watched Rush do Time Stand Still, Stick It Out, and Roll The Bones. Geddy has what we all want - massive talent, and an instantly recognizable voice both as a player and a vocalist. Is he overrated? No way. He delivers the goods in his own unique way. Can he slap like Wooten? Apples and Hubcaps, for Crissakes! Again, Wooten has what Geddy has - an instantly recognizable voice on his instrument that has inspired legions of fans. I love them both. I think that Geddy reaches a wider audience outside of hardcore musos, IMHO. You may beg to differ, and that's OK.

17. jgroh

jgroh

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Please tell me the 13 in your name isnt your age.

This is just your opinion and means nothing to anyone but yourself. Dont know why you need to start a thread about it, but lets hear your playing...? Please post a link so we can pass judgment on you.

You have a right to an opinion, but dont come on here and expect not to get attacked when Geddy has inspired thousands of bass players around the world. I like Entwhistle but nowhere near as much as Geddy. And most of the other bass players mentioned so far in this thread I either dont know or dont like...so they must be overrated too huh? I dont like them so they are "overrated"? Who put you in charge?

18. Apples are better than oranges

19. robgo

robgo

Jan 25, 2008
    UK
    I've got a lot of sympathy with the OP on this.

While I love players like Entwhistle and John Paul Jones, who were a huge influence on my playing, Rush kind of passed me by and I'd never really heard any of their stuff. When I started reading TALKBASS however, I heard a lot about Geddy Lee and figured I'd better check him out! I bought a Best Of CD and played it in my car for a few weeks, and, while I accept that's not a huge amount to judge him on, I didn't really feel like I wanted to go any further with him. Yes, he's pretty good, a hell of a lot better than I'll ever be, but to me he sounded a lot like Chris Squire, but not as good. It sounded VERY 80s I and I found it hard to appreciate in the context of where my ears and head are at today.

Now I know this will P a lot a people off, because I would be if I read that about any of my heroes, but we all have a right to say what we think on here, and we can all learn from each other. What it made me wonder was, if I had listened to Rush 10 or 20 years ago, I would probably feel very different about it now, and if I was listening to the Who now, would I be able to get into it in the way I did then?

To cut a long story short, is he worth all the hype that he seems to get on here? no (but that's just in my opinion and if everyone agreed it would be a rather boring (although better in many ways!) world)

20. robgo

robgo

Jan 25, 2008
    UK
    4 pages of posts in ... it's obvious no one's really interested isn't it!!:D