1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Geddy Lee Pick-ups

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by iDavid, May 13, 2006.

1. iDavid

iDavid

Apr 22, 2005
    I would like to replace the Geddy Lee Pick-ups with stack-ones from Fralin or other (any recommendations)

1. anyone know the ohm reading on them? (is that right?)

2. are the standard Fender Jazz size?

3. Over wound or under wound?

4. How do they compare with Standard Jazz pick-ups or are they standard pick-ups?

thanks

david

2. iDavid

iDavid

Apr 22, 2005
    I just was at the Sadowsky site and see that they sell Humcancelling J/J for 4-string....

how would these compare?

3. I know the GL is basically a 72' re-issue in black with white pickguard.........you may find some info on the 72' ri.

4. momo

momo

Oct 22, 2005
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Most standard jazz pu's will fit fine, however, I tried to kill the noise with a set of ultra jazz HBs and they don't get rid of it all of the way. I am considering going back to the stock, or some other singles, because mose HB's tend to strip the bass of it's trademark midrange growl. A good shielding job will do almost as much as HB's for that bass.

5. iDavid

iDavid

Apr 22, 2005
    did you shield yours?

6. momo

momo

Oct 22, 2005
    Huntington Beach, CA
    After I shielded it, it was much quieter. I don't think it was bad unshielded with the singles to being with, but now it is dead silent. I think that I am willing to deal with the hum in order to go back to singles though.

7. iDavid

iDavid

Apr 22, 2005

so, how do you shield it and where do you get the "stuff" to shield it with :confused:

8. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    Grease