GEddy Lee pickups?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steve_man, Feb 13, 2003.

1. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I've heard that Japan now makes the pickups for the GL Jazz now.

If this is true what year did they stop making them with the american vintage pickups?
  2. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    i bought a recent GL jazz.

i thought the pickups were outstanding!

don't know if they were japanese or US.

but, honestly, i wouldn't worry too much either way.

the build quality the japanese exhibit is extraordinary!!!

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I bought one the very 1st year, actually the second batch that was shipped to Sam Ash chain, & it didn't have the USA Vintage pick-ups. They didn't have the cloth covered wire that they were supposed to.
  4. Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    No Bogus Endorsements
    As I pointed out in another thread, the instruments that FMIC imports from Fender Japan have lower-quality pickups than are usually on the ones FJ makes for their domestic market.

Another example of this is the reintroduced '51RI, which has US Basslines SCPB pickups on the Japanese-market version, and some mystery Japanese-made SCPB pickup on the ones exported to the US, the same pickup as on the Artist Series "Sting" '54RI. These pickups are adequate, but they are definitely cheaper than the American-made ones put on the Japanese-market versions.

You can come up with your own conspiracy theory about this, but mine is simply that FMIC always wants imports they sell to have a disadvantage over their US-made counterparts.
  5. 1964

Mar 26, 2002
    Too Close To Hell
    The GLs should have the same pups as in the current ASe's! Vintage-*style*, not vintage!