Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Geddy Lee price question????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bottomdweller, Mar 10, 2003.

1. I have been on the prowl for a Fender GL bass for a couple of weeks now. I sold my Warmoth Gecko with the intentions of buying either a GL,Japanese J-Bass Reissue,or a Sterling.
    I've noticed on Ebay that the GL's are going for $550 or higher. Doesn't that seem high considering Musicians Friend has them for $629?

2. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    Basically...yes it does. Someone must buy it at that price, but I don't know who.

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I just bought one for $550 off of eBay but it included an SKB hardshell case. When I received it, the bass & the case were in MINT condition. It didn't even look like it was touched by human hands!!!!

Also, $629 is MF's "sale price" they normally sell for $679 with out a case & they are @ my local Sam Ash for $699 with out a case.

4. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    they have been 629$ at MF for atleast a year... but you can find lot's of good deals on 'em on ebay!

P@

5. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    There have been many warnings here and elsewhere about buying Geddy Lee basses on eBay. Basically, don't do it.

There have been quite a few Geddy Lees with bad necks and you can guess where people try to palm them off on someone else.

While I know original buyers who had some of these lemons and actually got them repaired under warranty by Fender - a miracle in itself, considering the wide exclusions in Fender's instrument warranty coverage - if you get one used, you are utterly out of luck.

Don't buy a used Geddy Lee you can't examine carefully first.

And yes, eBay prices on these things are way too high, even if they're good ones.

6. Actually,I have never heard anything like that about the Geddy Lee's. Has anyone here had trouble?

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Well, this is the second one I've owned & I've had no problems with either one. I know a few people that owne them & They have no problems with theirs, either.

8. MatW

MatW

May 10, 2000
    UK, Swindon
    I'm with Nino. I got mine yesterday and I'm delighted.

This is a cutting from another post I submitted on the subject about my only issues.

The knobs are no big deal, and the other is just a matter of doing a setup.

9. Cool. I hope this is an isolated incedent or 2. I really have my eye on a GL. How do Y'all think they compare to the '75 Japanese Reissues? I Nino has a hell of collection and could probably comment. Thanks...

10. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Unless guys here, on the FDP and a.g.b are all pulling our legs it isn't. Most GLs are fine, but there have been more than a few with defective necks, and if any piece of junk is out there to burn a buyer, it'll show up on eBay - and he'll predictably pay too much for it to begin with.:bawl:

Me, I don't know and don't care as the GL holds no appeal for me, but when I see multiple warnings about a specific gear problem I take note of it as a "known issue" for future reference.

Your money, your decision. I'm only trying to help. Careful inspection of an instrument before purchase is hardly a radical suggestion in any case.

11. Well,tahnks for the warning. Noone implied that careful inspection is a "radical suggestion". It's very good advice. BTW-what is the a.g.p and the FDP? I'd like to check it out. Thanks...

12. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements