1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Geddy Lee PUPS

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lowdown3, Sep 22, 2008.

1. lowdown3

lowdown3

Mar 22, 2008
    I have a Geddy Lee bass and I was wondering if all Geddys are wired the same....I can turn both knobs off and I still get sound out of it,,,,,As if it does not have a vollume controle.......Now does anybody know what kind of PUPS the Geddy Lee have?
    I want to upgrade to somthing else to where I get that Blues vintage sound....

2. That's not typical. You shouldn't get any sound out of it with the volume knobs turned down all the way. I believe the pups are the American Vintage ones, modeled after the original 70's jazz he has.

3. My Geddy does the same thing. When both volume knobs are completely off, there is still volume.

4. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Yeah, mine too. Not crazy about that when you are playing live and you want to cut the sound quickly...I guess I need a pedal for that.

5. How odd. Do you guys have newer Geddys? The one I had was a 2004 model and it cut out completely when the knobs were turned down.

6. lowdown3

lowdown3

Mar 22, 2008
    How do we fix thise problem,Because it kind of bothers me when you play live you can not turn it off between songs if you have to unless you have a pedal..............Now how do I change that?
    I planning to change the PUPS to the L-Frailens to get a good bluesy thump....But I think it goes a little further than that to the pots...Am I right

7. lowdown3

lowdown3

Mar 22, 2008
    I bought mine in 2006 .......

8. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Follow the standard J Bass Volume, Volume, Tone diagram and that should do the trick. Here's a link
    http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=std_jazz_bass

Far as replacements for the GL - those are based on the 70 / 75. I find them a little bright. For a fat, bluesey tone, try

1. rotate the tone control down about 1/2, then EQ you amp for the tone you're looking for. That's the cheap way - and it works - it's just that many of us get nutz with the tone control not decked...

2. The best I've found are custom from VintageVibeGuitars.com. As his are custom, I spec'ed Alnico magnets and a slight overwind. They are the schnitz as it were ... I have them in my #1 J and they do big, round, fat while being highly detailed and highly defined. They also have a really well done shielding scheme. ... and at about $180 a set, well they aren't cheap but they are damned good...

Others I've tried and liked - Aero Type 1's, Duncan SJB-1's, Lollar, Fralin - they are all good at a round punchy, bluesey sound. The VV's are still the best yet though.

9. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Has it occurred to you guys that this is intentional? That perhaps Mr. Lee had wired his bass oddly and Fender just copied it? Yes, it sounds strange to me too, but I know I've wired up a few basses in a less-than-perfect manner at one time or another, so perhaps Fender just copied EVERYTHING Geddy did, the good and the bad...

10. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    I have one of the earlier Geddy's and mine goes silent when both volumes are rolled off just like a trad J-Bass should. This is the first time I've heard of the newer ones being wired differently.

11. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Mine goes silent when the two volume knobs are rolled back. I have an 06 - you must just have something weird going on...

12. lowdown3

lowdown3

Mar 22, 2008
    Yea I dont know like I said, I played a Geddy Lee at A Guitar Center and it worked the way it should off.But anyways I am going to Buy new PUPS and install them and see what happens...Ian just not sure what I want yet.

13. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    uh
    I don't think it's your p'ups. It's the wiring. There are TONS of good schematics on the web for fender J basses - -

http://www.fender.com/support/diagrams/

(oddly, I see no "geddly lee" bass listed!)

But make sure that this "Geddy lee" bass doesn't have unique wiring that contributes to the tone in a way you like...

Which begs the question: Do you like how it sounds, even if you can't get it 100% quiet? If you like the sound, DO NOT spend money on new p'ups! That's just GAS talking! Just correct the wiring on the pots and you should be good to go...

14. +1 on the wiring. The pups don't have anything to do with what you're describing.

15. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge

no. A properly wired GL bass does not exhibit this behavior ...

16. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge

umm... Just GAS talking ? There are huge tonal differences available in J pickups selection. The GL pickups are not one of those the typical blues guy would choose ... way too bright to start.

While I totally agree on sorting out the wiring - You'll probably note that in my first post above - doing a pickup swap in a J to achieve a different bassline tone is a really common way to get a bass where you dig the feel AND the tone - right out of the case... On a GL, used in a blues setting - I'd be changing the bridge as well. Gotoh 201 or another similar hi mass version of the traditional J bridge. The BA is more agressive than necessary for most blues guys. That bass can stand a little taming.

The GL neck is too small for my hands but like many- maybe most of the MIJ/CIJ basses it is very nicely done. My MIJ 75 RI is more than a match for any US Fender I've played. New saddles to soften the attack a bit and a new set of pickups to complete the ensemble and it's a swing, blues and rock 'a billy monster. That GL bass is pretty much the same item with a smaller neck, the aggro bridge and I expect they have the exact same pickups stock.

17. allanhearn

allanhearn

Apr 22, 2004
    Hey Guys
    Mine something similar and it was the pots that were bad
    I replaced all 3 and have had no problem since
    allan

18. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Try throwing some flatwound strings on there!

I got Rotosound 77's and I can't get a bright tone out of the thing! (not that I want one) but if you roll the tone all the way back to nothing, it's almost so dark it's scary...crank the tone and it's still has the sweet growl we all love. IMO try the flats

19. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    If you are still hearing sound when the volume is all the way down, then there is an issue with the ground connections on the volume pots.

20. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge

I run TIJF's on mine. Personally I like some mid's with my blues so there ya got. I have Roto's on my F'less J - they are dark and thathelps given my un-practiced intonation :D

TI Super Alloy's are another treat... I'm working a deal for another MIJ J in trade for a MIJ P - killer basses for the dough... that one will get rounds to compliment the one with flats...