Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Geddy Lee Questions.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by oldrocker, Mar 12, 2005.

1. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    I saw a Geddy Lee at my local Guitar Center this afternoon. It felt very nice, although it seemed a little long to me.

Is the GL Jazz Bass a 34" scale? Does anyone else think the GL feels long?

I also noticed there was no access to the truss rod in the usual spot just above the nut. How do you adjust the truss rod on the GL?

This was a used model, and GC was asking $550. Does $550 seem a little high for a used GL?

It did feel good, though, and I would have considerred buying it but my wife would have made me sell one of my other basses :bawl:

2. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    You have to remove the neck to make truss rod adjustments, the same is with my Mike Dirnt P-bass.

3. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound

The Geddy bass is a 34" scale bass. It feels as long as all my non dlx jazz basses feel. trussrod access is at the bottom of the neck and if you don't notch the pickguard you will have to take off the pickguard to adjust it. I got my GL bass at GC for $599 new but Iv'e noticed all Fenders have gone up in price, I guess I got lucky :)

4. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Nope, you have to take off the whole neck.

5. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    You don't have to take of the neck! that is plain silly! I removed my pickguard 1 time but first I marked it on both sides of the truss rod, then I filed a small route so the neck can be adjusted with a regular screwdriver. You take of your neck, I'll just use my screwdriver, it takes me 2 seconds! How do you know much to adjust if you got to remove the neck? How long do you think the body will last if you keep unscrewing and screwing the neck off and on? Use your head and be creative!

6. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Odd, I tried just taking off my guard and that didn't work. Maybe you have a lucky special magical one, or a shim in your neck pocket or something.

In the end I got it routed for a spokewheel nut. Now I'm satisfied :p.

What would screwing and unscrewing the neck have to do with how long the body lasts? The neck pocket usually doesn't have threads, and as long as you get the screws back in the threads in the neck it should be fine. How do you think they did it in the days before bullet trusses?

7. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    here ya go rocket scientist

8. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Telling from that pic your neck does sit up a little higher than mine above the 'guard.

I don't see what your point is anyway, the facts are, on most people's Geddy basses you need to remove the neck to adjust the truss rod (just the pickguard won't do), and without work, that's how it'll stay.

9. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Then they should have got the special magical one like I did :smug:

10. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Actually, this is not totally true. I've only had to back out the screws enough to angle the neck for access to the screw... didn't even have to remove the strings... just loosen them a lot of course. I was dreading the hassle, but it's not bad at all. Also, I've only had to adjust it minimally once in the 9 months so far that I've had it, and I live in central IL, so lotsa' weather here.

Oh, and yeah, that does seem a bit high for used. The MSRP HAS gone up, however. It used to be 629, now it's 699. Regardless, folks are buying them new for 599 (or maybe even less), so unless it's literally like a month old and pretty much unused, that's a tad high IMHO (even tho the bass is worth much more as an instrument... Fender's greatest "sleeper" by far at this point as far as I'm concerned).

11. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Tried that too, but my neck pocket holes were threaded :/

I guess it depends if you get the lucky speshl magical ones or not :p

12. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Good point. Mine must be speshl. Lock'd her back down, tightened the strings back up (they're SS's, so they had plenty of life left... even with the loose/tighten cycle), and it continues to sing and growl like crazy. I especially like to use it in the church ensemble. I almost always have people come up and wanna' know about the bass... and that's just thru a GK Backline 110 combo. :)

13. BlackBass9

BlackBass9

Dec 4, 2004
    I bought my GL at Guitar Center couple of months ago. It was brand new and I paid $600 for it. Really nice bass, can't put it down. I didn't have to remove the neck to adjust the truss rod. I guess I have another magic one!!!!!!!! ;)

and stuff...

14. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    I bought my GL at Guitar Center for $599 and I just remove the pick guard to adjust the neck. I guess I have a magic also. :hyper:

15. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    NO that can't be! I have the only magical GL bass according to this thread! I wanna be special!, I demand to be special !

*pyrohr gets carried off by 4 big guy's*

16. I have the Canadian Geddy Lee "Hosers" Signature Series model. Made to be easily adjusted while wearing mittens. Although the neck can be taken off, (and makes for a good hockey stick IMHO) we only need to remove the pickguard.

So, for the versatility, going from a hockey game, to a gig, this is by far one of the best bass' around, especially for the price. If you're not sure of the length, you could check the fender site ... www.fender.com I think is the address, and look up all the tech info for the bass right there. Check ebay, there's a whole whack of them up for sale right now.

written by vics, and I couldn't agree more.

17. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    LOL

18. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Nooo! I must be the odd one out :cry:

[​IMG]
    So how do you adjust the rod on this one? That thing has some serious bow...

19. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    *pyrohr sneaks back into thread and sits quietly* :ninja:

20. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I love that show!